Too dark after Hendigo - what should I do next time?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
KatieK
Too dark after Hendigo - what should I do next time?

Hi, I'm a henna newbie and have long light-mid brown hair which has been dyed using permanent chemical dyes in the past. I have a few white streaks and need to dye the roots every 3 weeks. I want to switch to natural dyes that won't damage my hair. I'm happy to either keep my natural colour or make it a subtle dark red - either would be fine but I don't want to go too dark or bright orange! 

After lots of reading, I dyed my hair by mixing 75% henna and 25% indigo and leaving it in for 4 hours. So far I have done my whole head twice, 3 weeks apart.  

It looked great the first time but after the second time, my hair is a very dark brown - especially the lengths. I can tell that if I do it again in 3 weeks then my hair will go blac, which I don't want to risk. 

Please could anyone help me by explaining: 

1. What I did wrong?

2. Is the dark brown permanent? It certainly didn't seem to fade after the first 3 weeks. 

3. What I should do in future? Should I just do the roots, switch to henna only, use a henna gloss, use a henna/indigo gloss, darken the henna with something other than indigo, use a 2-step process, etc.? There seem to be so many options and everyone says to use trial and error, but this isn't straightforward if there's a risk that what I do will be permanent! I don't want to risk going darker again because I know I can't lighten it afterwards. 

Thank you very much!

rchou
admin
Indigo

Hello,

Indigo may fade over time, but you can speed up this process by using a vitamin c scrub: Mix vitamin c powder or crushed chewable tablets with clarifying shampoo, massage into damp hair, let sit 30-40 minutes, and rinse out. This will pull a little of the dye from your hair.

In the future, apply only to roots to prevent darkening.

KatieK
Thanks for your reply. Would

Thanks for your reply. Would you recommend I do the same thing next time (but just to my roots) - i.e. mix Henna and Indigo and leave for 4 hours, or try something a bit different? 

rchou
admin
roots

Hello,

If the color you originally got after 1 application worked for you, I'd stay with that mix, but just do the roots and try not to overlap applications. You may want to just leave it on for 3 hours, also, which may help it be a little lighter.

Have a good day!

KatieK
Thanks. I'm not sure how I

Thanks. I'm not sure how I can just do my roots because I dye my hair every 3 weeks so the roots aren't very long. Since the colour went too dark on the second application, do you think it would be safer to use the 2-step process and just leave the Indigo on for a little while?