Cold Henna

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
FireKitty
Cold Henna

Hello Everyone!  I hope you're having a lovely day.  

Saturday night, I mixed henna with vinegar and a little bit of amla in a stainless steal bowl.   I covered it with plastic wrap and left it out on the counter.  I was planning to use it the next day.  I got sick during the night with a bout of stomach flu so I couldn't do my hair.  After it was mixed and out about 15 hours, I put it in the fridge.  Now that I feel great, I have a ton of work to catch up on and still no time to do my hair.  I'd like to use the henna Friday.  

1.  Will it still be good to use?

2.  Will the color be darker on my hair as a result? (Which I would welcome.)

3.  Should I do anything special with it (such as mixing something in)?

Thank you!!!

rchou
admin
Henna

Hello,

Putting henna in the refrigerator can slow down the dye release process, but doesn't halt it. If your mix was out for 15 hours, and then in the fridge for 4 days, it's possible that the dye has started to demise. You can test a dot of paste on your palm for a minute, and see if you get a bright orange stain when you rinse it off. Henna that has begun to demise will generally result in a more brownish tone on the hair, rather than red.

In the future, if you have dye-released henna that you can't use right away, you can keep it in the fridge for about 24 hours, but if you plan in putting it off longer than that, stick it in the freezer, as this will pretty much put a pause on the dye release.

Have a good day!