Henna benefits and Roots

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
emerald888
Henna benefits and Roots

Hi everyone!

I decided to just go for it and be a red hennahead.  I'm loving it!

In the ebook, as well as the description for the Rajasthani Jasmine ("...If you use Ancient Sunrise® Jasmine Henna for Delicate Hair regularly, your hair will gradually become stronger and healthier."), it talks about the benefits of regularly using henna to improve your overall hair quality.  But everything I read also says that you only want to do full head applications until you reach your desired color, then you only do your roots.  This poses a bit of a problem for continued use to improve hair quality if your hair isn't very dark brown or black to start out, no?  Someone else had posed this question and it was left unanswered (I wasn't able to find that post again though)

So this brings me to a few questions...

If I achieve my desired shade and need to switch to coloring my roots only, how can I continue to reap the benefits of henna?  

Could I do weak henna/cassia mixes?  Should I do weekly/monthly/bi-monthly cassia-only treatments?  Will weak henna glosses actually give me any of the benefits of the henna itself?

Also, hypothetically, if I need to apply henna to my entire head 5 times to reach my desired shade, how do I make my roots match the rest of my hair?  

Do I need to use henna with a higher lawsone content?  Will that make my roots a different shade of red?  Do I need to apply the henna multiple times to my roots to make it match my length?  Do they magically just blend in?  

I haven't quite gotten the color I want long term yet, so I haven't had to do my roots by themselves.  I'm just trying to gather information before I get to the point that I need to do my roots and cover my grays.

Thanks in advance for the help!  :-)

rchou
admin
Henna and roots

Hello,

If it's been taking several applications to achieve the color at your roots, you can do a few things:

One, make sure the roots are very well cleansed, and leave the henna on longer for better coverage

Two, you can switch to a higher lawsone content

Three, you can do roots and then pull the paste a little further into the length to continually deepen the parts that have had fewer application than the length.

Yes, it will generally blend pretty well, and once you have the color on your length, you can used cassia that hasn't been dye-released as a way to continue conditioning your hair without adding to the color. You can do this as often as you feel necessary.

Glosses won't do too much for conditioning because they are weaker, but some people do a full strength mix for the roots, then mix the remainder into a gloss they use on their length.

Hope this helps!

emerald888
rchou

Thank you so much!  This does help... I'm ready to do a full strength application now, I just need to get my henna ordered.  Exciting. :-)