Having trouble with indigo sticking?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jora
Having trouble with indigo sticking?

So, I've been using Henna & Indigo (2 step) off and on for years now!  Aside from the very first time I used Indigo (used henna religiously since I was very young and before any grays), I've always had issues with indigo's staying power.  I've asked questions and pretty much exhausted all 'suggestions' with no luck.  Recently, however, I opted to test out the Indigo by simply leaving it on longer.  It'd been suggested that indigo does not stay on hair too long as henna can take over the indigo.  Well for me, personally, leaving indigo on for approximately 3 hours did the trick WITHOUT henna taking over!

Just thought I'd share in case others are having similar issues.  BTW:  Aside from the grays,  my natural hair color is black

rchou
admin
woohoo!

That's great to hear!

Yup, 3-3.5 hours is really the most indigo will do, but leaving it on the full 3 hours can help.

For anyone who is still struggling, the additional helpful techniques, which I'm guessing are the ones Jora tried, are:

Add 1 tsp table salt to every 100g Indigo used.

Be sure to use distilled water. Minerals can get in your way.

Try switching to Zekhara Indigo if you are using Sudina, as the powder is finer and can often dye more effectively.

Make sure the hair is very very clean and clarified. Dawn dish soap is a very effective degreaser. For the purpose of good indigo stains, dry (as in, lack of moisture, "damaged") hair is the best.

Add gentle heat by sitting under a dryer hood, putting a heating pad on the head, putting on a warm cap, or aiming a hair dryer at your head once in a while during the processing time.

Jora
Thanks!  Yes, I tried all of

Thanks!  Yes, I tried all of your listed suggestons (minus the dryer hood) many many times with no luck!  :)  I'm glad something has worked for me, and I hope others with the same struggles find something from your list above that will help!  :) :) 

Jora
Thanks!  Yes, I tried all of

Thanks!  Yes, I tried all of your listed suggestons (minus the dryer hood) many many times with no luck!  :)  I'm glad something has worked for me, and I hope others with the same struggles find something from your list above that will help!  :) :)