Henna gloss for gray hair?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
debr1126
Henna gloss for gray hair?

Could I do a bi-weekly gloss to color gray gradually instead of the full-on henna treatment?

I have naturally light brown hair that is 30/40% gray; i.e., dirty dishwater. In the past, I used 50% Raj Twilight / indigo for a med auburn brown I was satisfied with (and great gray coverage, btw)--but the ROOTS! Ugh. Gray roots showed up every two weeks, and I didn't have the discipline to keep it up. So I grew it out. Now I have a chin-length bob that has become so dry and frizzy I look like I rode my broomstick through a tornado. It was way less frizzy when I was hennaing!

I'm considering a henna/indigo (cassia? amla?) gloss instead of the full treatment. I know I could manage that every two or three weeks, and with it this short, the ends will be trimmed farily often so they don't have a chance to get really dark. My ideal color would be like this: http://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Paris-Superior-Preference-Lightest/dp/B0000... but a lighter version would do as well. If it takes more than one round to get there, that would help the gray roots blend in better anyway. 

Could it work? If so, would you please suggest a step-by-step process to start with for my first attempt? I realize there are no guarantees with a natural product, but right now I'm bogged down with too many different options. What type of henna, how much, powder or dye-released paste, which other ingredients to add, how much conditioner, how long to let it sit? I'm overwhelmed. And I really don't want to stroll into work with carrot-orange hair if I can possibly help it. Once was enough. ;-)

rchou
admin
Gloss

For that color, I'd recommend doing a mix of mostly cassia, plus a little henna and indigo. probably slightly more henna than indigo. We have a Chai kit that results in a dark blonde/light brown depending on the hair you start with.

The thing about glosses is that it deposits much less dye, and the results are not as permanent. You run the risk of having brassy orange-ish hair that fades quickly.

I would recommend doing a strand test with a Chai kit sample, and see how you like that. If it is too light, dark, red, etc., call us and we can adjust to a custom mix. Since you have short hair and just want to touch up roots every few weeks, we can help you figure out how to mix just a small amount at a time in the right proportions.

debr1126
Chai sample

Thank you! I'll take your advice and order Chai kit sample and go from there. I definitely don't want a brassy orange.