Hello to all - and question that has likely been asked gazillion times -

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
ShaniAZ
Hello to all - and question that has likely been asked gazillion times -

First of all - Hello!  This is my first post here.

Several years ago I regularly dyed my hair with Punjabi Prime henna I purchased from Mehandi.com.  I colored about once a month for 3* years.  I used to mix the henna with pure lemon juice or citric acid, and I did my whole head each time, (my natural hair color is very dark).  My hennaed hair used to be a rich, dark red...not purplish or burgundy...closer to mahogany (like Arlene in True Blood).

I decided to start using henna again last month.  So far I have done one full application and two other applications for highlights.  I have used Rajasthani Twilight mixed with Malluma Kristalovino powder. This time, the henna is bright red...much more orange-toned  (like Merida in Brave).   It's beautiful, but surprising!

I am wondering if the difference in color is because of the henna itself, or if it has to do with what I mixed the henna with for dye release.  I had no idea different types of henna could create such different results!  

Thank you for any info.

AttachmentSize
Image icon Then75.58 KB
Image icon Now74.43 KB
rchou
admin
Punjabi Prime

Hello,

Different crops of henna have different characteristics. The Rajasthani Monsoon would be more similar to the Punjabi Prime. Twilight is more of a coppery, auburn red, and Monsoon is rosier or more "true red" in nature. I would try Monsoon henna with Malluma for a deep "true red".

ShaniAZ
Dye Content

Thank you - that is just what I needed to know regarding colors.  If I put the Rajasthani Monsoon on top of the Twilight, will I get the rose undertones?

Also - because Monsoon has a much lower dye content than Twilight, will it cover gray/white strands? 

Can the two hennas be mixed together for a different shade?

Thank you very much for your help!

rchou
admin
Monsoon

Monsoon over Twilight may alter it a little, but there won't be a huge drastic difference, especially because the twilight is a stronger henna. Monsoon won't be as good for gray coverage, but many customers do use it with success; it just depends on how porous your hair is, and how long you leave it on. Mixing hennas will result in getting something between the two, so you could play around with that.