1:1 henna/indigo ratio = purple?! Whats going on???

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
antounorama
1:1 henna/indigo ratio = purple?! Whats going on???
Hi! Would so appreciate any insight to this. So, contrary to what usually happens- greys turning purple because henna didn't stick well enough- in my case, the henna/indigo worked just fine on the greys. Its my normal hair (light/medium brown) that started taking on a violet tint after several applications of a 1:1ratio of hendigo. Aweful!!! O.O So, I literally stopped adding indigo and thankfully the violet faded to dark red-brown (very pretty) BUT now my greys are a super bright red (sigh...). I've thought about preparing 2 different mixtures and doing a 2 step, using the hendigo mix in the 2nd step and applying only to my very prominent grey strips. (I'm terrified of doing a hendigo all over). But before I play around - cause you can't exactly undo a henna blooper-I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience, or any thoughts/advice. Thank Uuuuu!!! :)
rchou
admin
Purple

Hello,

That is definitely a very odd result. What henna and indigo are you using, what are you mixing into the henna as far as an acid, and how long do you leave the mixture in your hair?

There can be a lot of things that are causing a weird result, so maybe we can help by changing your recipe or technique.

antounorama
Hi! Thanks for getting back
Hi! Thanks for getting back to me :D I was using Morocco method henna and indigo, black tea, and leaving it in my hair for 2-2.5 hrs. When the purple started to show I stopped using indigo all together and switched my henna and I'm now using Rajisthani Twilight henna. Pure henna, black tea with a splash of lemon, and leave it on for 2.5- 3hrs. Purple is gone (whew!) But i just have that stark contrast between bright red and dark red/brown. I tried uploading a picture, not sure if it uploaded succesfully.
rchou
admin
Brunette

Hello,

The purple result might be from using a different brand. I haven't heard of that happening with Ancient Sunrise products. If you wanted to try 1/2 and 1/2 with Rajasthani Twilight and Zekhara indigo, or even start gradually with 2 parts henna and 1 part indigo, you can probably get to the brunette shade you want.

antounorama
Hi :) I thought about that
Hi :) I thought about that-weird color having to do with the brand. I'll give the Zekhara indigo a try and see what happens. Thanks!