Need some red in my orange henna hair

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
LAelli
Need some red in my orange henna hair

I have on my hair twilight with nightshade. I put it on about a year ago.  Saw the photo someone else took of my hair recently and don't like how orange it is.  Recently I put on some more of the same product to blended my roots. I left it on for ten hours. How what product can I put on to add some red or auburn in my hair? Thanks so much for your help. Signed, unhappily a carrot-top!

rchou
admin
Red

Hello,

Twilight tends to be more on the coppery side, so I would look into switching to Monsoon henna, mixed with either Copperberry powder or Cranberry juice. Monsoon is closer to a true red, and those acids keep the color brighter.

What color is your hair naturally as it grows in? Do you have dye-resistant hair? Also, how to you mix your henna, how long do you let the mixture sit before applying, and how do you prepare your hair before applying? All of these things can also affect your overall results.

LAelli
 My hair was naturally red,

My hair was naturally red, started to fade a lot because I'm older. Now the roots are coming in gray. My hair is past my shoulders so  I guess the bottom is probably faded red but I've been putting henna on it for several years now. The gray at the roots took the color exactly like the rest of it. 

I honestly don't remember how I prepare the henna. I made a big batch of it late winter to redo all of my hair because it was too dull, not really having much actual color.  I called the 800-number and followed their directions! What I just added on my roots last week has been wrapped up tightly in a plastic bag in the freezer.  I remember using the rain shower shampoo before I put on the henna in the winter.  This last time I used suave clarifying shampoo. 

I have never heard of copperberry powder.  What is it?  What do you mean by "brighter"? 

Thanks so much for your help. 

rchou
admin
Copperberry

Hello,

The Copperberry powder is on this link: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/citric_acid/

It is used in place of an acidic liquid, then you just mix the henna with water. Copperberry contains antioxidants which prevent browning. Henna will natrually oxidize to a deeper and deeper shade over time, especially with multiple applications, and when exposed to heat. Copperberry prevents this, so your color stays more vibrant.

LAelli
Thank you. How do I add a

Thank you. How do I add a little bit of brown w the red?  I don't want it bright red I want some red with a little darkness in it to tone down this orange. 

rchou
admin
Nightfall Rose and Amla will

Nightfall Rose and Amla will tone out some of the brassy tones in the henna dye when used during dye release. Indigo would further darken and brown out the color.

LAelli
Thank you so much for your

Thank you so much for your input. Finally did a treatment. Used the monsoon I had left (instead of twilight) and added indigo.  It's very lovely. I wrote your comments down for when I need to reorder.

rchou
admin
Great! I'm so glad to hear

Great! I'm so glad to hear you got the results you wanted!