light brown henna ratios

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
bornartist
light brown henna ratios

I am a newbie, first let me say that I am very impressed with Ancient Sunrise website as far as the quality of the product being sold and the provided resources, this is why I choose it.   I just did my first sample henna from a hairbrush sample, I have probably 80% grey at temples and been chemically dying my hair for atleast 15 years and it is dry.  I used the Henna for Gray Hair Medium Brnette, Cassia and Indigo to acheive light brown, I used orange juice to mix since the Cassia did not have the Malluma Kristalovino in it.  I did not anticipate that my kitchen scale can only measure to the 0.1 oz. so I couldn't measure out to the sensitivity I needed for small ratios. I mixed the 3 gram packet of Cassia with 3/4 tsp henna and 3/4 tsp. Let sit wrapped at room temp for 12 hr. ( followed the dye release etc)  It came out darker than what I anticipated. I would rather start out really light brown and go from there assuming no problems with rehenna on my whole head. Questions: 

1. how much does 1/4 teaspoon of henna or indigo weigh so I can figure out if I am using a 4:1:1 ratio of cassia/henna/indigo ( I know a chemist must know this question :)

2. If I want to acheive a lighter brown and possibly less red should I increase cassia more? or use different henna? (not for grey) and acidic powder as opposed to orange juice.  Assuming a max of 4 hours dye time when I put on my head.                            Thanks, I'm excited about this product!

rchou
admin
Ratios

Hello,

Here are some helpful gram measurements:

1tsp cassia = 2g, 1tsp henna = 2.3g 1tsp indigo = 1.7g

For a light brown, I would go with 3-4 parts cassia to 1 part henna and 1 part indigo. for less red, use a bit more indigo than henna.

Orange juice works just fine, but citrus will bring out brighter tones. if you wanted a more neutral brown, you could go with amla, MK, or Nightfall Rose.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

bornartist

bornartist
Thanks so much for the gram

Thanks so much for the gram measurements and the acidity info,  I'll follow up after I decide on the formula and perhaps post a picture! :)