amla not helping to preserve curls

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
VenusEnvy
amla not helping to preserve curls

I really miss my naturally curly hair. Henna/indigo/cassia has made it straight as a board and limp and I don't feel like myself. Yes, I use amla every single time and it does not help.

Thinking of switching to straight cassia. Does cassia have the same hair straightening properties.?

rchou
admin
Curls

Hello,

Some people do still see their curls loosening, even with amla. You can avoid this by doing roots only, to prevent henna continuing to build up on the length. Cassia on its own does smooth out hair for some, but is not quite as strong as henna--- but for others, they find that Cassia helps bring back their curls. It wouldn't hurt trying!

VenusEnvy
Thanks. I have only been

Thanks. I have only been doing roots. I'll try just the cassia. Or maybe just embrace the gray.

ShaniAZ
Curls

When I first tried henna it seemed to kill my curls so I gave up and decided to use chemical hair dyes.  Eventually my hair was so damaged I decided I'd rather have straight auburn hair...so I went back to henna.  After the first two "whole head" processes (to get the color deepend and soaked well into my hair) my hair seemed straight.  However, as I started to do the "roots only" method, after a couple of months, my curls came back full force.  If I dye my whole head every few months, it doesn't seem to affect the curls at all anymore.  My hair is not frizzy anymore, but the curls are bouncier than ever.  My hair has grown like crazy since I've been doing the henna, and even the long ends that were damaged are perking up into curls.  I am very careful to keep my hair well moisturized and conditioned.  Henna feels drying right after dyeing, so I load up on conditioner like crazy.  For the first few days after a color I use leave-in conditioner with curl moisturizers.  After that, I wash and go.

ShaniAZ
How could I forget this?

Also - There was a 100% difference in my curls when I stopped using lemon juice and began using distilled water and Copperberry...or just distilled water.  In my case, it seems like the lemon juice was the curl-killer.  I will not used lemon juice or citric acid anymore in my henna mixes. The ascorbic acid in the Copperberry seems to be much milder acid than citric acid.