cherry cola on gray possible?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
padove
cherry cola on gray possible?

I've been using a hendigo mix (1: 2 ratio) on my almost all gray hair for years now.  I'm almost 60 years old and I think my hair is really too dark for my age.  Any suggestions for going lighter?  

Patti

MayaN
you do have some options

A lot of people go lighter simply by reducing the amount of indigo in the mix, more and more, each time they do their roots, so that there's a gradual color shift to the lighter shade, as the new hair grows longer.   With that method you'll be lighter at the root for a while, than on the ends, but it won't be a glaring difference and once those darker ends eventually get trimmed off your hair will be lighter all over.  If you are impatient like me, and prefer not to wait that long to have evenly colored lighter hair, you could try natural honey lightening, which does not damage hair.  I can tell you that it worked great for me, to lighten and eventually remove the indigo portion of henndigo from my hair.  It left my hair in great condition too.  But it takes real dedication, meaning many repeat applications, to see really noticeable results.  Detailed instructions for how to do it are on the Long Hair Communty's online forum.   You could try oil lighteing too.  Mixing equal parts coconut oil and olive oil, and rubbing it into my hair and leaving it on over night before shampooing it out helped me lighten my henndigo too, while being a great conditioning treatment.  But again, it took many applications to see results.  And I was just trying to remove ONE application of dark henndigo, not layers of it, so I'm not sure it'd work equally well for you, but might be worth a try.  Some people have had success using Color Oops to remove henndigo, but when I strand-tested that menthod, I noticed some damage to my hair strand and it did not remove the color in an even way, the result was splotchy, so I decided it wasn't worth the risk.  Hopefully one of the experts on the forum will get to your question soon, good luck! 

padove
Thank you!  I will look up

Thank you!  I will look up the natural honey method . . . that seems doable!  I've got to figure out how to cut back on the indigo and/or add more henna (which is already frozen in 1/4 cup amounts) and at the same time making it enough paste to cover what I need to cover!  I'll give that a try too!  It'll be worth the effort.  I'll let you know in a few months how it goes!  

enissel
admin
Lighter color

The paste that you have frozen, is it Henna and Indigo mixed or just Henna?

Freezing Indigo makes the indigo demise and no longer dye the hair.

padove
I just freeze the henna then

I just freeze the henna then add in the indigo.  I freeze a large batch at one time using 1/4 cup henna each and wrap in cling wrap. I'm just wondering if I thaw one henna "chunk", say for one hour . . . enough time to be able to cut it in half to be able to use, and then refreeze the other half, would the henna still be ok to use later?

enissel
admin
Freezing Henna

Hello,

Refreezing Henna can cause the henna to loose some of its dying ability. If you do so quickly it should be fine. I would recommend freezing in smaller batches in the future.