How to make recipe with powder and premade paste

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heather17
How to make recipe with powder and premade paste
I have a dilemma. I want to create my own chai kit with ingredients I have. I have frozen henna paste, my cassia is developing along with amla (instead of nightfall rose), and I have my indigo powder. So for 100g of cassia (on my shoulder length hair) I will add 25g indigo but how much henna paste? The instructions say equal amounts henna and indigo but I am sure that is referring to powder. I know henna powder weighs slightly more than indigo, therefore the volume of indigo would be a bit more than henna, but the henna paste issue throws me for a loop. I hope someone can chime in, I realize I should have made it with henna powder but wanted to use up what I had on hand.
enissel
admin
Chai Reciepe

Hello,

25g of Henna powder is 3 Tbs + 2 tsp. 25g of Indigo powder is 5 Tbs. Unfortunately  there is not an accurate way to measure Henna paste. There is not a standard measurement for how much liquid to use. The gram weight on the different fruit acids is also different. I recommend using Henna powder and saving the Henna paste.

Heather17
Thank you! Your breakdown of

Thank you! Your breakdown of the Tbsp amts for each is helpful to me. I will make up my fresh indigo powder into paste but use 4 Tbsp instead of 5 as my test on hairball (hair is currently copper - 50/50 henna/cassia, dark blonde roots) was a bit dark at 25%. Then just use the equivalent amt of henna paste. I did a test strand on my head with less henna and indigo and really love the result! 

enissel
admin
Chai Test

Hello,

Testing First is a great way to make sure the color will come out how you want it.  You can always go darker, but trying to get it lighter if it goes too dark can be quite difficult. Happy Testing!

Heather17
I clarified my hair and made

I clarified my hair and made my chai formula a bit weak (100g cassia, 20g indigo & henna). It looks nice, is still very noticeably a red tone which I expected with my vibrant copper starting point. I probably should have used the 25g indigo but was scared of it as I have never worked with indigo before. (Scared of it going too dark!) It did help unify my color much better and took it from vibrant copper on the lengths where I had previous heavy bleach highlights to a subdued, muted copper bordering on light auburn. I am wondering if my use of Amla instead of the Nightfall Rose contributed to the darkening effect.  Sadly, I now miss my vibrant hair! Would the NR have kept the color brighter than the Amla?

enissel
admin
Night Fall Rose vs Amla

Hello,

Amla adds more ash tones than the Night Fall Rose fruit acid does. The ash tone reduces brightness and brassiness of the color. ( less orange). Night Fall Rose fruit acids has more subtle ash tones, and antioxidants to deter darkening. Using the Night Fall Rose instead of the Amla would have made it slightly less dark. For more information on the differences in our fruit acid, read chapter 6 in our Henna for Hair free e-book: http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/Chapter_6_Henna_and_Ac...