Toenails

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Melissa
Toenails

I've noticed that my toenails are looking not so nice. They're flaking, dry, and getting thick. They're not yellow, so I don't think it's fungus, but I haven't been to see a doctor.

Anyway, I read that henna can really help with nail strength and health. I would love to henna my toenails. Should I go for it?! What are all the benefits? I found the page on fingernails. Do the toenails grow like fingernails?

Thanks!

Carrie
Re: Toenails

Could be fungus, or something else. I had some undiagnosed changes on a couple toenails and tried henna for them. It actually worked, but the color took 6 months to grow out, and it's not a pretty color (kind of like rust) against my light cool skin tone. I cringed whenever I saw it, to tell you the truth, but it's better than nail crud! If you have warmer or darker skin than me you might like it though!  It really strengthens the nails.

The nail surface was rough enough when I applied the henna that some of the green paste wouldn't rinse away and I ended up sanding that off with a coarse grit disposable nail file, then buffing to smooth it out, then reapplying the henna a few more times. From that point on the color was more even, rusty orange, and the nails were strong and smooth. The "condition," whatever it was, went away as the nail grew out.

Jen

I personally like the color, and it doesn't chip off! 

And yes, toenails should work just like fingernails. 

daydreamer

I have recently done my toenails with henna.  At first I wasn't thrilled with the outcome.  My husband said it looked like I had some kind of freaky foot disease!!!  That night I did another application of henna on them and a few days later they looked better.  Less yellow and more rusty colored.  Right now the color is almost brown down around the cuticles and a rusty orange color up towards the top of the toenail.  I'll be doing another application tonight, in hopes of getting the tips to darken.

Blurberrybuzz

I love my henna'd toenails!  My toes always look polished and fit, even if they're neglected.  Toenails grow much slower than fingernails, so you don't have to henna them as often. 

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3222/3122981196_2cefb73948.jpg

victoria

Nicole

A word of advice, you should do a small part of your nail first before you commit to all of your nails.  I henna'd my toenails a couple years ago, and it took them over a year to grow out.  When I got married, I had to have them filed down, cause they were half stained and it had faded to a dirty looking yellow/orange colour.  If you don't keep them up, they will fade, at least that was my experience!

daydreamer

Victoria, I love the color you got on your toenails!!  That is exactly what I was wanting mine to looke like!  Any pointers??

Thanks in Advance!

Melissa

Thanks for all the words of advice! I didn't know that toenails grew slower than fingernails, which is good to know before I jump in and henna my toenails. I might try a pinkie toe for now...lol!

Victoria, your toes look fabulous! How do you get such cleanliness and straightness? I'd like to try to just get the toenails, not the surrounding skin, but I guess it doesn't matter because it'll shade much faster from the skin than the nail.

Thanks again for all the help.

Blurberrybuzz

I just use whatever cone of henna is lying around and carefully put the henna on.  I'll often soak my feet first and push back the cuticle.  Softer nails seem to take the henna more evenly.

Alligator

Dont even get me started on the evils of nail polish! Henna is a great alternative, but you have to make a decision to keep on doing it, or let it grow out.

I've just started henna-ing my finger and toenails both. I did toenails twice in one week, which yielded a really nice deep orange color, similar to Blurberry's. It's been well over a month, and it's barely grown (I never realized toenails grow slower). Once buffed with a good nail buffer, you can't tell that it's not polish. :)

Fingernails are another matter. Not only do the nails grow faster, but on me, the color seems to fade much faster. I think the henna fingernail page affirms that color fades easier near the top.

I actually have had some kind of fungal thing in my thumbnails for more than 20 years; it doesnt discolor the nail, but my nail grows out w ridges and bumps from one side of the nail to another, and when soaked in hot water, thumbnails get really soft and peely. So far, the henna has helped the soft/peely thing. I'll keep reapplying, and maybe it will help the bumps. Altho it is a pain to do every week.

In an emergency, when my nails have just grown a tiny bit, and I havent had time to prepare more henna, I've dabbed on a solution of turmeric and water to the bottom of the nails near the cuticles (be SURE to put A LOT of vaseline or heavy lotion on the cuticles and skin around the nails, or your skin will be yellow for 24 hours or more) and let it dry, then take it off with wet cotton balls.

Magical Mystery Girl

What equipment should one use to apply it easiest? I just did mine using Yemeni henna I never used in my hair, with an old nail polish brush, but boy did I have to do a lot of quick wiping around my nails!! There must be an easier way? And is there anything that can be added to make it more gel-like as opposed to a thick paste without dripping?

ACWN

When I've done my nails, I've used the piping/carrot bag method. Its hard when you're looking at doing the other hand with henna already on your nails, but it works pretty well.

I was the one that suggested clear nail polish for around the nails. I ordered some Purity and indigo to get black and as soon as I get my hands on some clear nail polish, I plan on doing this plus putting some of the nail polish over the henna to seal it and see if it will stay wet longer underneath for a deeper, stronger stain while keeping it from smearing all over the place. I'll report if all this works, promise!

I'm hoping the henna and indigo will be in Friday (ordered Monday) and plan to grab some clear polish on Friday either way so I'm ready to go.

Eliz. R.

On an Indigo forum thread (where black nails were the desired outcome), someone suggested clear nail polish applied carefully to the cuticle to protect the skin from color.

ACWN

Clear nail polish doesnt work, lol. I just tried it and the places where the henna touched skin still stained. Oh well!

Does work as a sealer though! The henna stayed moist the entire time I had it on. Wouldnt sleep with it on, but it worked!

Mayflowers

Do you prepare the henna the same way as for hair? Mix with water and let sit for 12 hours? How long do you leave it on the nails? I'm in! I have some fungus on one side of my one big toenail and this would be perfect, I love the deep orange color..great for Autumn/Winter too!  Really nice toenails Victoria.. I hope I can get mine like that. Thanks

ACWN

*Never* leave a water mix for 12 hours, it will be demised by then. Water mixes with room temp water are ready in an hour or so. 12 hours is for lemon juice or amla. But yes, you can mix it like you mix for hair or body. Leave it on as long as you can! The longer its on, the darker it'll get.

Mayflowers

This other brand I used told me to boil water, add 2 green tea bags and a Tablespoon of lemon juice, and cool it to room temp., then mix it with the henna powder and let it sit overnight. This was a cassia, henna, cinnamon, marigold flower blend..

Oh so you can use lemon juice to mix the henna for toenails too? Oh that's good. I'll do that.  thanks ACWN you are very knowledgeable.

ACWN

Basically all you're doing with that liquid mix is making an acidic green tea. It shouldnt really be left overnight, but its not *just* water, so its sortve okay though I would expect it to be partially demising by morning. Tea mixes are typically ready in 1 - 6 hours, depending on what kind you use and room temp. Adding lemon juice makes it more acidic, so it could take any where from 4 - 8 hours, depending on how much juice you add.

Kathryn
I know this is an old post so I hope this question can still be asked. If you henna your toenails can you paint polish over them? I would like the strength of the henna to improve the nail. Thank you.
Jen
Absolutely! A clear coat over the henna color looks really pretty. If you want to cover the rusty, henna color choose dark colors. Painting over hennaed nails with pale green ends up looking muddy and gross in my opinion. The henna is dark enough to show through even a couple coats of lighter polish colors. Just keep that in mind.
WednesdayRowan
Henna for nail strength... no, nail strength is determined by genetic predisposition, body health and health of the matrix (part of the body/nail that makes nail)......... anything you put on the nail after it has left the matrix and shows externally may keep it in condition or slightly improve condition (oiling if dry, protecting if peeling), but only so much... nails getting thick, often pressure... left to grow too long, ill fitting shoes............... fungus can do this but most often shows irregular line along hyponychium (skin that attaches under nail at nail bed edge (never disturb or break this important seal) that generally creeps back gradually............ When you said flaking and dry, I wondered if you were getting those cheap pedicures that often include excessive buffing of the nail surface (it does smooth but removes the essential denser upper layers of nail that hold moisture in and are essential to protect more porous lower layers) often done to compensate for cheap base and polish coats and poor preparation... but if they are also getting thicker, that is not consistent....................... nails sometimes thicken with age, are all nails thickening the same or those that press against the shoes thickening more?............................... if you decide to see a doc about fungus, do yourself the favor of seeing a dermatologist instead of a podiatrist... he will know to test tissues properly instead of taking a sample from the surface and finding all sorts of things that may not actually be in the tissue. I've seen an awful lot of damage since the advent of "gel polish" and the use of standard gels on toe nails.... and the proliferation of cheap spa places... like the black henna problem, uncleaned spa tubs (and few clean them properly) are disaster
cordiemilo
Just wanted to say that I used the clear nail polish tip to protect the cuticles from staining, and it worked great for me.  I did use a top coat though, which is made to seal unlike regular polish, so perhaps that was the difference. Great tip!
Jen
Excellent! Thanks for posting!