Access problems

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Margie
Access problems

I tried to post this in the Technical Q&A section, but couldn't.

Whenever I try to log on lately, I get the "Automatic logout due to inactivity" message -- even though I click "Log out" at the end of each session. 

I log in again, choose the forum I want, and have to log in a second time.  What am I doing wrong?

Jen
Re: Access problems

I think its just a glitch. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain, but in the mean time here's what I do... I ignore that automatic log out stuff. Then I don't log back in until I choose the forum I want. Once THERE I log in. Then it "takes" even when I hop between the forums.

ex_machina
admin

Thanks for tipping me to the problem with the Technical Q&A forum. I forgot to configure it so that authenticated users could post there. That is now set correctly. I can't be of much help to you folks if you can't post your questions.

I haven't found a definitive answer to the auto-logout question. Part of the problem is that it's only popped up in a couple of places where I can't really track it to see what causes it. However, I'm beginning to suspect it's a cookie problem.

The auto-logout function is controlled by the time limit set by a session cookie that the server sends to your PC when you log in. If the cookie has expired by the next time you log on, you'll see the auto-logout screen.

I was seeing the same thing on my own machine and it suddenly stopped. I think it was the result of purging my browser cache and cookies as part of correcting a different problem.

I suggest you try that yourself and see if there's any difference.

Margie

Thanks -- purging the browser cache and cookies worked for me!