Going to Box Dye after hendigo

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
valentine
Going to Box Dye after hendigo

I really need help here.  I have been trying to cover my whites with hendigo.  I have only used henna and indigo from this site.  I have done a full strength hendigo treatment twice....(never overlapping) Once I did full head and oce I did just the roots so there is a single layer on all hair.  Before that my hair was virgin.  I have darker brown hair and now I'm debating to go for a box dye.  The last time I did my roots only was over a month ago maybe two now...and the whole head application the frist time I did it was maybe about a year ago now.

I seems like the hendigo on my whites fade after time and I'm not willing at this point im my life to do multiple applications on the same hair to get the color I want.  I just don't have the time with my 2.5 year old and husband issues ..and feeling bad for asking my mom to do it for me....I'm stressed to the max.

I guess I want to know, if I picked out a color that was close to it is now, or even a tad darker, will I get anything weird?  Greens or purples from the box dye ??????  I was thinking of using Naturatint.  I know this stuff is probably bad for you but at this point I'm willing to go back to it to cover whites completly.

If any of you have advice or have tried this please, please let me know!

I so apperciate it!

Nikki

Carrie
Re: Going to Box Dye after hendigo

Hi Nikki,

There should be no problem if you switch to a chemical dye in a brown at least as dark as you've got now. It can be a problem trying to go lighter, but going darker will be fine.

Chemical oxidative dyes used over henna or hendigo often come out darker than expected because no real lifting from the peroxide can happen, and the dye is designed to both lift existing color and deposit new color.

Since you only care about adding color at this point and don't need any color lifted, you should be okay. However, please do a strand test to be sure.

Be aware that it may fade more quickly over the hennaed part of your hair - henna can keep the dye from hanging in there as long.

One thing you do want to avoid is using any high vol peroxide, as that will lift everything but the indigo, leaving you with green hair. The peroxide in the Naturtint would be a low vol I believe, since it is a semi-permanent color.

valentine

Thank you for the information.

When I did hendigo I did 50% henna and 40% indigo and 10% buxus.

So your saying if I get my color that i have now or one that is a little darker I should be fine with Naturtint right?

Yes, I will strand test first.  Do you recommend doing this on the head?

I should try to stick with the color I have now becuase you say it can go darker right?

I want to stick as close to it is now as possible...a tad darker is fine too.

Thanks so much for your help! 

Also do you know what a high volume of peroxide is?

Or what I have to look for on the box as to percentage?

Nikki

Carrie

So your saying if I get my color that i have now or one that is a little darker I should be fine with Naturtint right?

• right. Actually even if it is a little lighter, it will probably be okay in a semi-permanent dye.

Yes, I will strand test first.  Do you recommend doing this on the head?

• if you have a hairball of collected hair from your comb or brush, that would work. On the head is okay if you prefer.

I should try to stick with the color I have now becuase you say it can go darker right?

• Because trying to go lighter won't work, mainly. You won't be able to lighten it, and the higher vol peroxide might turn your hair green.

I want to stick as close to it is now as possible...a tad darker is fine too.

Thanks so much for your help! 

Also do you know what a high volume of peroxide is?

• 10 vol is low, 30 or 40 vol is high. A semi-permanent haircolor typically uses a 10 vol (or 20 vol for gray coverage) developer. Here is a link explaining this:
  • http://www.salonweb.com/pro/color.htm

Or what I have to look for on the box as to percentage?

• I don't know if the box will tell you the percentage, but I think a semi-permanent won't use a high vol.
irinadax

i have used boxed dye after hendigo. i'm using it now actually. i too have dark brown hair and i just went black. i use semi-permanent dye as well. it has very little peroxide so there's no lifting of color and no weird greens or strange shade. for me i can't tell if it's darker b/c i do actually go black. i can say this much however, it doesn't last as long b/c the henna won't hold it as long as unhennaed hair. but if you use semi-perm dye, you should be okay.

DeborahLayne
How did it turn out?

Hi! I'm in a similar situation as you. The length of my hair is way too dark hendigo; the rest looks like a calico cat. I've tried everything suggested by henna experts and still, meow. 

But i don't want to go any darker. I'd like to achieve a more uniform color while it's all growing out. If I were to use the Naturatint you mentioned, what would it do to my red patches, light brown patches, and nothing-but-natural-color-with-20% gray? I'm thinking a light brown or even dark blonde. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? At this point I'm thinking about shaving it...