Help, somebody -- My henna mix is dye releasing already!??

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
chuckles
Help, somebody -- My henna mix is dye releasing already!??

I just mixed up a fresh batch of henna with some freshly squeezed OJ and cool water, started to stir, adding more water as needed.  But the mix got very gluey, and didn't seem to be mixing as well as when I hennaed before.  Thinking it was just too thick, I kept adding a little more water and mixing; it thinned just a little, but the thick, gluey consistency never improved.  What's more, it turned  quite brown, the color I remember it being on top the last time I did it which was my signal that dye release had taken place.  I put a little on my palm and waited about 5 min, rinsed it off and saw very faint orange.  Panicking, I covered it and threw it in the fridge.  This all took place in less than 30 minutes!

So is it really possible for henna to dye release that fast using water and a couple tbls. of citrus juice?  Having very dye-resistant greys, I need this henna to penetrate and last (I'll be doing a 2-step w/indigo.)  What could be going on here?

Carrie
Re: Help, somebody -- My henna mix is dye releasing already!??

Yes, it's possible, especially when your liquid is mostly water. You did the right thing refrigerating it.

Malynda
Re: Help, somebody -- My henna mix is dye releasing already!??

I always use water in my hair henna.  It releases fast and hard, but the dye won't last longer than a day.  Put it in your hair immediately and you should be just fine.