'Hard' water

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
gecko
'Hard' water

Hello! I'm new to henna and am looking forward to experimenting with it to achieve a rich red colour on my collar-length, medium brown dreadlocks.

My question is, I live in a town that is considered to have 'hard' water. I have seen on this forum reference to the fact that mineral content of water will affect the final henna colour. How can I avoid this? I would prefer not to have to purchase a filtering shower head (in fact I've never heard of them here in Australia, or at least in the small town I live in).

Does the hardness of the water only matter when washing out the henna? If thats the case then I could go over to my neighbours house to rinse because they have all of their water filtered. But if its the possibility of a build up of the minerals in my hair that is the problem then I will have to look into a shower head... which may be a much more expensive endevour than I had hoped for.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Carrie
Re: 'Hard' water

It's the buildup of certain minerals in your hair that matters. But it won't happen to you just because you have "hard water." I have hard water and have done henna for years without any problem at all. Do a strand test; if your henna comes out dark dull ugly brown without any red highlights, you'll know you have a problem and can then deal with it. There are inexpensive remedies you can use, other than getting a shower filter.

On medium brown hair, you should get dark reddish brown to rich dark auburn color with henna.

gecko

Thankyou for the reply. What are the remedies for mineral buildup other than a new shower head? The reasons I ask before doing a strand test is I want to use the 100% henna sold on the site and to make the (massive) shipping cost to Australia worth it I was going to buy the 500g pack, so I would be using that to do my strand test with.

I would hate to fork out the money, do a strand test with awful results and then not be able to use the rest of the 500g :)

ACWN

Clarifying shampoos and there are other products on the market available for mineral build up. You can go to a salon and ask them what they would recommend using.

Jenna

Haven't actually dyed my hair with henna yet, so I don't have any feedback on that part. But I also have a lot of minerals in my water and was looking into a filter. You can get a filtered showerhead that's not too expensive (between $30 and $60 depending on the model). I plan on buying mine online because I haven't found any in the stores in my area. Not sure if the online stores do shipping to Australia (or how expensive it runs). But it might be worth doing a search online to see about buying one. I've heard they make a huge difference and are well worth it while being a lot less expensive than a full home water filter. 

Carrie

What you want is a shampoo formulated to remove mineral buildup.  Here is a Google search on mineral chelating shampoo:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=mineral+chelating+shampoo&aq=f&aqi=m1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=C7bnVvuKATOyiG6XgoASC-tD5AQAAAKoEBU_QY9Bo

Apparently EDTA is the effective ingredient in many of these shampoos.

The other thing is called ION Crystal Clarifying Treatment, $3 at Sally Beauty Supply. People often use it to remove the green tint hair gets after swimming in chlorinated pools.

gecko

thankyou so much! You have all been really helpful :)

I believe the hard water wont be too much of a problem on my hair because I wash with bicarb and vinegar (I have the cleanest dreads around :P) and that is also what I use to clean the mineral buildup on the shower screen at home. I will still do a test on a single dread at the back before I take the plunge and do my whole head. I cant wait!

I am buying the 500g Celebration henna even though the postage cost to Aus is very steep, simply because I want the best to start off with, then I plan on using Jamilia henna which I can get from an Australian online store to do my upkeep.

Thanks again for your help :)

Jen

Be careful! Whether or not your ACV will keep the hard water problem at bay or not depends on what kind of hard water you have. That would most likely take care of lime, chalk, or calcium sulfate, but not iron, aluminum and capper, and those are the ones that can really mess with the color of henna. I'd still do a strand test first.

gecko

definitely going to do a strand test. Probably on one of the dreads at the back and underneath because I dont brush my hair therefore have no hair to harvest! :)

That said, I'm going to have a look for a chelating shampoo when I'm next at the shops and if I can find one I will buy it and use it. Thanks again for the help.