confused with measurements/ratios!!!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
kwoolly
confused with measurements/ratios!!!

I am just about to one-step hendigo my hair for the first time and need a spot of hand-holding about the amounts of each herbal powder to use.  I'm feeling nervous...  and excited.

I plan to strand test a 1:1 and a 1:2 celebration henna/indigo ratio first for two and four hours leave in.  

My hair is curly, mid to dark brown with 20% grey and chin length and I want to use amla with the henna.  Will I be OK with 100 g.  Is this the amount that the henna, amla and indigo should all add up to? 

For example: 1:1  (12.5g amla and 37.5g henna and 50g indigo)

1:2  (5g amla, 20g henna and 75g indigo)

Or do I add the amla amount on top of henna? For example:

1:1 (50g henna, 12.5g amla, 50g indigo)

1:2 (25g henna, 5g amla, 75g indigo)

Is amla OK frozen? Can I save the amla/henna leftover paste in the freezer for root treatments?

After hendigoing, if my hair needs it, is it ok to wash and condition normally?

Thanks for your help

K

ACWN
Re: confused with measurements/ratios!!!

I ALWAYS caution to have about twice what is suggested for a first full head application because something always seems to go a little wrong the first time around. Usually its that the paste is mixed too thick or applied to dry hair, or (God forbid) both... making it a right pain in the butt to get in.. resulting in not having enough. Not everyone has this problem, but I sure did and sometimes its better to have back up ready. You can always freeze the left over henna paste.

You may want to see how long your hair would be straight and go with that amount (about 150 - 200 grams total) for your first go around.

I think you add the amla in on top of the henna. I'm not sure how amla does when frozen, at worst it will die and you'll just have to toss in a little more - or you can do an amla-only application once you're done.

Once the dye is there, its there. You can shampoo and condition as normal - you will need to any way to get all the paste out otherwise you could end up with dry, crunchy hair for a bit.

Jen

Yes, figure the amount of amla as an additional part, not as part of the henna. You've got the ratio right though -about 1/4 the amount of henna that you use.

I don't think there's any problem with freezing henna paste with amla in it, but I admit I've never done a color comparison with it in a hendigo. I just use amla for shine.

I agree with ACWN completely about making more than you think you need the first time. You may end up throwing some away, but next time you'll know exactly what you need and there won't be any worry that you wont have enough.

kwoolly

Thank you both for your help.  I'm feeling a lot more confident... :)

Will post the results...

K