-Just used Light Mountain- Help!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
patticake
-Just used Light Mountain- Help!

Okay, I am already wishing I had started over here, but such is life! In a nutshell, here's my story: I have large sections of very white hair in front, naturally medium brown in patches still on top and in back (with some grays mixed in). Cannot tolerate chemical hair colors anymore on my very baby fine hair. And for all the people who told me I should just give in and "go blonde"... phooey on y'all! Bleached highlights just destroyed my hair!

First, I grew my hair out completely... no color/highlights at all for at least three years (I have short hair). Then, I started using Surya Brasil's cream henna product for about the past year. I realize now that it's not truly pure henna, but was a heck of a lot better than supermarket chemical hair colors. Easy to use, & I got nice color effects and shine, but didn't long.

I wanted something longer lasting, so I let about two months go by to allow the Surya Brasil to basically fade away to almost where I started. Then, just (today) tried Light Mountain "Color the Gray" in "medium brown". This (as you may know) is a 2-step product with the 2nd step containing henna and indigo. I strand tested, but it was difficult to tell the result b/c I don't have uniform color over my whole head.

I followed their very convoluted and confusing directions as best I could, and only left the step 2 on for about 15 minutes but ended up with a VERY dark result... almost BLACK in some areas, with bluish and greenish tinges.

I basically have been reading here on the forum, and the FAQ section of this site for the past couple of hours and *think* I have some clues.

First, I'm assuming that there was some chemical (of some kind) residue in the Surya Brasil that was still on my hair despite me thinking it was all gone. Secondly, I definitely do have hard water here, so I probably have had that building up on my hair over time. I did use distilled water for the henna mix, but I'm assuming it was ON my hair from our water.

What I'd like to do is slightly correct what I've got right now... and continue in the future with Ancient Sunrise. SO... questions! Should I try to use the Rainwater product NOW... in order to strip out some of the mineral buildup? Then use a new treatment of Ancient Sunrise henna to get a warmer, more auburn-ish color with golden/reddish highlights. Would the Rainwater product strip any of the henna I just did, along with mineral buildup?  OR... am I stuck waiting until I have enough growth to just cut this all off and start over? Thank you! I've learned a lot today!

ACWN
Re: -Just used Light Mountain- Help!

Yes, I would try the Rainwash. I dont think it will strip any of the henna, but given LM is a premixed brand, its hard to say what it will do. You could try washing your hair with dish soap, or a baking soda/water mix and seeing if that will pull some of the color out on its own to help lighten it up.

Problem is, if you went nearly black with LM, even though it is a premixed it still uses indigo and chances are your color ISNT going to get any warmer. Once you use indigo to go black or near black, it kinda blocks out henna's ability to produce a red shine. But if you can get some of the indigo to strip out (be aware that you are going to have to do a major moisturizing treatment afterwards), the henna should warm your color up a bit more and help soothe any damage done from the stripping.

patticake

I was actually really surprized that it turned out so dark, since I chose a what they labeled as a "medium brown" shade... but just goes to show, you never know. I did wash it a little while ago... first with baking soda and molasses.... then with dish soap. The suds coming off my head were very BLUE... so I was heartened! Now it does look a little lighter/warmer... but I still have one section, on one side of my head, that is very blue for some reason. Weird. Just a 2" diameter section. Maybe I'll just cut that part off! LOL

Thanks so much for the reply.

ACWN

Even the medium brown kits from mehandi.com can turn out too dark depending on the condition of someone's hair. If your hair is chemically damaged, for example, it can suck up more indigo dye than it normally would. Mineral build up could result in a darker shade too, I think. Just remember to use the Rainwash before you use AS henna.

You might have to wash your hair several times before it gets to a shade that agrees with you more, so be patient. Good luck :)

Carrie

For your very blue spot, I'd try dish soap mixed with handful of baking soda, leave it on for 30 minutes or so, and do it several times if necessary. That type of thing has helped a number of people remove indigo overload. It won't remove all the indigo though.

patticake

Thanks, Carrie... will do that today. :)