Apple cider in place of apple juice?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fleurdelis
Apple cider in place of apple juice?

This weekend I will be doing a henna/indigo treatment for the first time.   Because of the drying effect of lemon juice I will be using a different liquid instead.  I have apple cider at home and was thinking of using that.  Does anyone one know if it would give similar results as apple juice? 

xyz
Re: Apple cider in place of apple juice?

Apple cider works.  The only problem is that it'd be hard to predict the dye-release time.  Start testing at around 3 hours. 

ladytetsu

it's more acidic, so maybe slower, definitely check.  For some reason ACV + henna = STINKYYYYYY!! I don't know why!

Fleurdelis

Thank you both for your suggestions.  I'll definitely keep them in mind.

xyz

Wait! You meant apple cider, not apple cider vinegar, right?  ACV stinks really bad!  You may use it, but dilute it as much as you can.  Maybe a tablespoon in a cup of water...in which case the dye-release could be very fast as the mix is mostly water.  Start testing for stain after 1 hour.  But really, any amount of ACV smells bad...I'd stay away and use apple or orange juice instead.  Even mostly water with a splash of lemon (bottled or squeezed) would be better than the stench of ACV.  That's how much I hate it!

Fleurdelis

XYZ,

I did mean apple cider (the kind you drink), not ACV.  However, I ended up using low fat plain yogurt since I had a big container of that and the reviews I've read of the ease of application with this mixture convinced me to try it.  It was indeed a messy process, which I expected and was prepared for.  After thoroughly rinsing out the henna (with indigo added right before the application), I deep conditioned my hair with a cheap conditioner and olive oil.  Then, I rinsed again and applied a little bit more conditioner and olive oil and braided my hair. 

This morning, my hair felt very soft and moisturized, which I'm very happy about- ‘cause I was afraid that I would end up with a dry and brittle mess.  So far, I've noticed a slight color change and my grays (premature graying) look slightly coated with a reddish-brown tint.  Hopefully, the color will be a bit more intense following a longer period of oxidation.

I’m learning so much from this forum and found your instructions most helpful in my first attempt.  Thanks to all for your help.

Carrie

Your results sound great, Fleurdelis!  I just want to mention that years ago using yogurt in your henna paste was kind of a popular thing to do around here on the forum, but after a while people noticed their grays weren't getting (or staying?) covered as well ... just something to watch out for, though it may not happen to you. Other than that it's a very nice way to henna,  I feel, since it does make hair feel more moisturized after hennaing.

Fleurdelis
Carrie,
I didn’t realize that about yogurt. Thanks for the info. In addition to that, I used the Ancient Sunrise henna for African American hair for my first application because I was concerned that I would have a difficult time rinsing the paste out. Thankfully it rinsed off easily, which was a plus. But I just learned that this type does not cover gray well either. So, this explains why my grays were only lightly dyed. I am now planning on trying Celebration or Purity for my next attempt in a few weeks but I don’t know much about them.  Can you tell me a little about them?
Thanks
Carrie

Celebration is the highest dye content henna Mehandi sells so it gives the deepest color on grays. Any kind of henna will build up to a deep color with repeated use but with a higher dye content it takes fewer applications to get that deep color. Celebration also has a shorter dye release time than most of the other hennas Mehandi sells; maybe check it in half the time the instructons say.

Other than that, all I know is what's on the site ... I have not used those hennas myself. I think Jen uses Purity though and gets a deep garnet color with it.

ACWN

Something else to keep in mind is that its been reported that indigo doesnt like oils or fats - afterwards is fine, but before or during the dye process its best to avoid them. I think yogurt counts as a fat and that may also have something to do with your lighter coverage.

nativehealth

As far as i know apple juice has longer shelf life than apple cider. The reason for this is that apple cider contains the pulp of mashed apple which makes the liquid easily and quickly perishable, while as apple juice is devoid of the pulp, it stays good for longer. So i guess it won't give similar results.

[edited to remove commercial link]

Fleurdelis

Thank you all for this wonderful wealth of information.  It's great having somewhere to pose questions and get loads of insights and instructions.  This surely makes my HHJ a less daunting task.

vear23

I am extremely new to Henna so I would like to know, if would you mind telling me how long you left the apple cider and yougurt mixture to sit, how long you left it in your hair.  I'm also curious to know how often should it be done.  I'm not really looking to color my hair, but keep it conditioned.  If it happens to get colored then so be it.  I wouldn't mind some red flecks to my dark brown hair, but my main point is to condition.  FYI, I have African American hair.

Carrie

I've been looking over this thread to see where someone mentioned using cider and yogurt together, and I can't find it. Forgive me if I'm overlooking it but maybe you can point it out for me? 

You can prepare henna with yogurt, is that what you are asking about maybe? You can use henna as  often as you like but it will give you color, and the more often you do it, the more color you will get. The conditioning from henna comes with the color, and you can't really get the full conditioning benefit without the color.

vear23

Sorry...not apple cider AND yougurt.  I mistakenly mixed post #1 and 5 together, but I would like to know about both alternatives as my hair is always dry and brittle.

Carrie

You can use yogurt by itself as a conditioning treatment also. It adds moisture and makes hair soft.

And some people use apple cider vinegar diluted 1 part in 7 parts of water for a rinse after shampooing - it makes hair silky, detangles a bit and adds shine.

vear23

oh thanks..I've never used either before.  I'll give it a try next time I wash.  I hope it helps with my sons hair.

btw, just any plain yougurt.?

Carrie

I always used a full fat plain yogurt, worked well for me. Not sure if fat-free would work as well?

emerald888
Yogurt

Lower fat yogurt, but it wasn't fat free.. I can say that the 2% worked well though!

I did my hair yesterday with 1 cup of 2% fat greek yogurt (VERY THICK), 125g of henna (dye released with 2 tablespoons amla), and a squirt of cheap Suave conditioner.  All went way better than I anticipated.  

Using the greek yogurt was far less drippy than using conditioner.  But it seemed quick to dry at the roots while I was applying it.. maybe that wouldn't have been the case with full fat yogurt?

I have a grey streak in the front of my hair that turned a beautiful dark fiery red from day one.  Not sure how it'll look in a week, or if there will be fading (as some have suggested happens with yogurt mixes), but time will tell!

VenusEnvy
how much apple juice would

how much apple juice would you use per cup of water?