***Can anyone help me??***

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
ella426
***Can anyone help me??***

I had purchased online henna powder and indigo powder.. problem is they both came in 1 packet mixed in together.. how can I mix acidic liquid in the henna? I did research but couldnt find anything.

This is a blend of: Lawsonia inermis (86%) and Indigo (14%) powders. Its a green powder with a tea/grass smell.  Can anyone help me.. thanks for any replies.

Jen
Re: ***Can anyone help me??***

Ya, well that's the problem isn't it. Follow the directions that come with the product, which is probably to mix with warm water and apply right away. Likely your results won't be as rich and may show fading. If you try to use an acidic liquid with this, the indigo will be ruined and only the henna will be active

ella426

thanks for your reply! the packet didnt have instructions.. that was the point to the searching for answers. I only saw online search instructions of seperate mixing and the combination after the mixing.. I bought the henna online and the packet was a ziplock baggie with a logo and address from the store. I buy a lot from them just this is the first time I bought henna. I had asked them about it but they told me that they will call me yesterday to let me how to use the henna.. still waiting.. I really wanted the a dark application.. I love red hair but I dont think it looks good on me. I have virgin hair my natural hair color is ash light brown. wanting dark golden brown. Thanks for any replies..E

cglory

I would follow the instructions on the pacakage.

My sister uses premixed henna +indigo mixture. Her product instructions ask her to boil plain water, take it off the stove, and then add the powders and stir to mix it well and then apply it right away. The temperature of the mix is warm when you put it on your hair. She gets a dark brown by leaving it on for 2 hours.

ella426

the packet didnt come with any instructions, I bought it from a health organic store online where everything is packaged with ziplock baggies and the stores logo and address, thats it. I went online searching for answers to this type of henna mix but no luck. If I want red highlights I use the packet with lemon? and if I want dark brown I boil water?

Thanks for your replies. E

ACWN

Probably, but again, since its premixed and "mystery" henna, we really cant help. You need to contact the place that sold it, either by phone or email, and ask them.

To be perfectly frank, I personally wouldnt trust it -  just because it came from a health food store doesnt mean much. But that is just me.

ella426

Thanks.. my exact feelings of trusting it.. I buy from them a lot but this is the first time buying henna I did search a lot for henna instructions before buying it. Since I read on ppd and other damaging chemicals I thought many brands had this stuff.. so thats why I purchased it from an organic herbs and health store online... I had called them and the customer service lady told me she will contact me the same day I had called but still waiting. I will call tomm. hopefully she will have more info and instructions on this henna. thanks for your response..E

ella426

Its ironic I am a cosmetologist and asking about henna, unfortunately henna is not taught in school much and has a small section in the books, mostly on this topic is how to strip henna and vegetable dyes that have metallics/salts. Henna is taught mostly of dangers and precaution. I believe differently now with experience and knowledge about hair. But I can see why cosmetology teaches the way they do in a business rather than overall hair treatments. thanks for all replies, and for future reference.. what is a good brand henna for hair color.. I am so new to henna and natural hair conditioning. thanks again...E

ACWN

Go to mehandi.com - the henna and other plants they sell are 100% pure and safe, and permanent in the most literal sense. You mix them yourself, the way YOU want to.

I think the reason why most cosmetology schools teach that henna is bad is because most henna that people get is premixed and usually has PPD or metallic salts in it when it comes in other colors and when you use other chemicals on metallic salts there is a horrible reaction. But with pure henna, like that from mehandi.com (known as Ancient Sunrise), there is no risk of this reaction. The worst you would get is moldy, blotchy green hair if you tried to bleach out indigo.

desertholly

Whether you choose to use that packet or a new separate henna and indigo from mehandi.com, I'd suggest you do a swatch test first.  From light ash blonde to dark will be pretty drastic, and henna is permanent.  If you've never worn dark hair, you might even want to try the inexpensive wig route to "try on" your new color for a week or so before dying.  My 2 cents...

ACWN

Ah, yeah, thats a very good point! Especially since once you have indigo in your hair, you cant get rid of it. Bleach will result in a moldy, blotchy green color. Ick.