A.S Celebration Henna and A. S Henna for African hair

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
redteddy
A.S Celebration Henna and A. S Henna for African hair

I was purchasing some henna from the site and ordered the regular A.S Celebration henna, then I noticed that there is a section for the same product but specifically for African hair (natural and straightened).  If henna is henna then what difference does it make what head of hair its applied on? What's the difference in content between A.S Celebration Henna and A.S Henna for African hair?

Thanks

Carrie
Re: A.S Celebration Henna and A. S Henna for African hair

That's new to me .. I've sent Catherine a message asking about it. I think the two used to be different, and the one for African Hair was so designated because it had the finest sift of any of the hennas Mehandi offers, thus easier to rinse out especially from locs or tiny braids. Of course, anyone with any kind of hair can use any of the hennas, it's just that we have customers who want to know what is best to use for fragile fine African hair types and locs, etc.

Jen

Both carry the AS label (that's just our name brand), both come from the same manufacturer, but there are subtle differences. Henna is henna, yes, but each crop or batch is a little different like vintages of wine. Celebration came in with a higher dye content than usual (3.4%) so we suggest that one for gray coverage.  The henna for African hair has a finer particle size than usual, so we suggest that one for fragile hair, locks, course, or curly hair. Its dye content is 2.2%. Good enough, to be sure! but if you have stubborn gray, you just may want to step it up a bit! Use what you like. "For gray," and "for African hair" are just suggestions.

NubianPrize

I've been using the black AS African hair henna since last June & I like it a lot but the last 2 times I did my whole head I noticed some of the gray I'm trying to cover came out dark reddish brown from the henna. I've heard that adding amla powder can increase the darkening effect or dye uptake. If so, how much should I add to the kit  so all my hair comes out jet black, and what do you add the amla to..the henna or the indigo ? I mostly have gray around the edges in front. Since reading the posts in this thread, I'm wondering if I should go for the Celebration kit. Is that henna really  difficult to wash out ? I have type 4a/b hair that is fine, soft & not hard to detangle.

Carrie

You would add 1 part amla to 3 parts henna, (example: 33 gm amla, 100 gm henna) plus cool water. Let it sit 12 hours for dye release.

If you add amla to indigo directly, the indigo won't work. It doesn't like acidity and amla is acidic.

Celebration is quite easy to rinse out.

NubianPrize

Thanks. I might try that. BTW, does the amla give added benefits to the hair when mixed with henna?

I use Dabur amla oil or Hesh amla powder as a prepoo.

Carrie

When mixed with henna, it helps prevent curl from loosening, as it can with multiple henna applications. It doesn't really affect the color of henna much, just makes it a very slightly rusty/browner color.

When mixed with henna and indigo, it helps the indigo take darker, so you get a darker, cooler shade of brown.

redteddy

Thanks very much for the answer.  Yes I guess it makes sense that a finely sifted grain would make for an easier rinse. Has there been reported problems with regular henna on african textured hair leading to breakage? In future I think I will order the African henna just to see the difference.  

Jen

No, but a lot of women with African hair that come to henna do so because they're ready to go natural and have been straightening and using treatments that do cause breakage. In many cases henna can strengthen hair and prevent this kind of breakage, but any kind of pulling, like combing or rinsing out henna, can encourage previously damaged, brittle hair to break.

Carrie

Just to follow up - Catherine says that the text about Celebration batch #041610 appearing below the product photo for Henna for African hair was an error and will be corrected. These 2 hennas are different, just as Jen describes.

CCartwrightJones
admin

so sorry for the error! I excell at typos, especially in html.  I'll fix that over the weekend. Celebration is 3.4% lawsone and Henna for African hair is 2.2% lawsone.  I recommend the lower content for African hair because people of African descent gray later of all groups, so they're least likely to need to cover gray.

redteddy

You say that Celebration is 3.4% lawsone and Henna for African hair is 2.2% lawsone. Is the 3.4% too strong for African textured hair? I mean outside of whether someone is looking to cover grays or not.

Carrie

No, it's not "too strong" for any kind of hair. Strength in this case simply means more dye, so more color, thus better gray coverage or deeper shade of red, if you're using it by itself.

redteddy

Ok thanks.  I understand it now.

Jazzygirlhair

Read the above post. I too had the same question. I ordered them both because I wasn't sure which would work best. I am approx 65% gray. My hair is mildly relaxed with a long lasting semi permanent done 4 weeks ago. My gray is very resistant and my hair been thinning aggressively over the past year. I think it is a combination of peri-menopause, stress and use of relaxers for over 30 years.

My question is with my many stated issues and concerns and the fact that I am more than 50% gray is the celebration not a better option for color?

Thank you in advance for any help and insight you guys can offer.

JGH

Carrie

For your dye resistant gray I think Celebration would give you deeper, richer color. Its sift is quite as well.

Jazzygirlhair

Thanks Carrie for the feedback.

JGH

Vegasrenie

I had to jump in on this one because of what I've been experiencing over the course of the past nearly two years.

When I started on this forum in summer of 2009, my hair was just a couple of inches long and I was growing it out. I was using a "texturizer" (kind of a relaxer lite), and then started using henna to strengthen it. Well, not even henna can save you from your own stupidity. I left the texturizer on too long late last winter, and started pulling clumps of hair out that had "melted" where it overlapped.  That was the last time I used any chemical on my hair. Fortunately, the henna did a great job of repairing my hair and I cut off the last of the relaxer about a month and a  half ago.

I use henna on the roots every two-three weeks to cover the sparkles, and then do a whole-head henna quarterly. The result is strong, healthy hair, and the natural curl-loosening effect of henna puts my texture about where I want it.  It's funny, you can see the tight curl at the scalp, and the looser curl several inches down. Amazing! My curls are super glossy, and I don't need to use a "glosser" to get that way.  I prefer the henna with the higher lawsome because it really brightens the gray.  My hair is tightly curled, so the finer sift isn't necessary, but I'm trying to talk my daughter (who has dreads) into trying it instead of the dye that she's currently using.

I haven't used shampoo on my head for well over a year - I use WEN when I can afford it (it's the best for my hair), but cowash when I'm poor. lol.  Either way, I'm not breaking my hair from the harshness of shampoo and find that it's a lot easier to comb through in the shower than fighting with it afterwards. No split ends!

Of course, YMMV. 

I've been swamped at work and keep forgetting to post new pictures of my hair in its natural state and when I've blown it dry. Sorry to keep babbling on. :-)

jarjay4

I found A.S. Celebration Henna to produce pleasing results for my natural, past shoulder length when flat ironed, African American-sista girl hair.  It gives my grays a deep, cherry red/auburn hue mixed in with the dark brown. I agree that Henna softens the natural curl pattern lenghtwise as well as softens texture.  In fact, the entire texture of my hair is wavysoft after a year of henna use where I can just rinse with conditioner after treatment, deep condition and place in a pinned up pony.  I do maintenance cowashing and shampoo usually before henna treatments to have a clean head of hair.  I love henna and hope your daughter decides to give it a try.  My last relaxer was Oct. 2008.