"No Poo" and henna

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vader
"No Poo" and henna

Hello All:

I have been researching and comtenplating getting on the "no shampoo" band wagon.  If anyone does not know what is involved Google it but basically you wash with baking soda and then rinse with apple cider vinegar.  

My question is how will the baking soda effect henna'ed hair?  How will it also effect the indigo in my hair?

Anyone had experience with "No Poo" and Henna????

Thanks all!

Jen
Re: "No Poo" and henna

No poo and henna work fine together! The only concern I'd have is if you've just started a no-poo routine and you're still in that kinda oily phase... It might be hard to get enough oil out of your hair without using some soap or shampoo. You need to have fairly oil free hair so it makes good contact with the paste.

Carrie

If you are wondering about whether this method will strip color from hennaed or indigoed hair ... probably not. You're diluting the soda and the vinegar, not using them straight. To lighten indigoed hair using baking soda, you would put a handful of soda in a handful of shampoo and the combination will lift a little bit of indigo each time. But using just a little bit of soda and no shampoo, I don't think will be a problem.

Now, if you already have a problem with indigo fading for you when you wash it, I can't say whether this no-poo method would be better or worse than using shampoo.

By the way, there are many ways of going no poo:  Water only, conditioner only, sebum only, soap nuts to mention just a few.

Vader

I do have die resistant grey so I'm thinking the baking soda is not going to help the situation so thanks for the other options.  I'll start investigating those.

Cheers!

ACWN

If you're looking to get away from store shampoos, mehandi.com has shampoo bars and now liquid shampoo. Something to think about!