working with a bride

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
sailor
working with a bride

hello,

i need some tips and advice about when im going to do henna for a bride.

i have done 2 brides till know. one came to my house and told me what she want and i told here what she could expect from me. the other was a friend of my and she all ready knew the way a work.

last week a got a phone call from a birde that got my number from a friend of my. i was all ready waiting for the call so when she called me i was kind of shut down. she asked me if i was availlable on the date she wanted me is said yes and she asked for the price and i asked here for the adres en that was it. she told me is there was something i could call here and i also said so.

but after i hanged up i reallised that i didnt asked here if it wasnt beter for us if she would come to me so that we could disscus the way i work what kind of hennastyles i do and so on. so that on the day itself i wouldnt be waisting time on just what kind of hennadesigns she want on. so i sned here a message that ii invite her to have a talk.

my question know is how do you work with a bride. im still not used to it.

do you invite them for a talk, or do you see them for the first time on the hennaday itself.

do you bring examples of hennadesigns with you?

how do you work with other family members that also want henna on them?

i was also planning on when she comes i want to give here a paper of how she must treat her skin before aplying henna and how she must treat the henna when its on and of. like no lotion or oil on the hands an feet.

does someone also doe this and if so do you have a example of this kind of information that i could hang out. because i have no idea how is should put htis to gather.

thanx sailor

Jen
Re: working with a bride

First of all, I NEVER give a quote until I see the kind of designs she likes. If she needs henna to her elbow, clearly the price is WAY different than if she just wants a little past the writs and the tops of her feet! She MUST email me some photos or links of desigsn she likes. Its even better if we can meet and look them over in person. Then you can give the bride a little sample of your work too, so she knows what to expect from your quality of work, and color.

Second, you need to have a contract! Your contract can explain all the before and after care, how long to expect the work to take, your deposite policy (ya, you should have one!) and any other requirements you may have. I have good lighting and drinking water noted specifically in my contract. This is also a good place to itmize extras like gems or mileage. Don't promise a date to a bride until you have her contract and deposit!

sailor

wow thanx jen for your advice,

i really see that i have zero experience.

the bride did contact me and we will see each other so that she can see what my work is and how i am as a person self.

can you give me a example of a contract?

thanx sailor

Rosa Mimosa

I have done brides from several different ethnicities.  It is never a happy time.  Sorry people.  Most of the time the bride has been gracious, happy and a sweetheart.  But aunties, sisters, and noisy guests arriving late and bumping into others at sangheets and henna parties add to the stress.  So a bride alone sometimes is a dream.  

Your contract can be a simple letter highlighting in detail the dae, time and type of services you are providing (bridal, hand and feet, back and belly, etc.) with your fee and the deposit required.  If it is your policy, include a reference that the deposit is non-refundable or can be use as a payment in the future if the bride or any client cancels on you.  I find a letter format with bullet highlighted details works well and keeps the agreement not too formal but at the same time extremely business like.  Format your letterhead with your business name, address and e-mail/website like a regular business letter.  Spellcheck at least twice, making sure you have everyone's name spelled correctly and that day and dates are correct.  At the bottom of the letter you can provide a space for your client to sign as folllows, with instructions in the text of the letter for your client to sign if they agree to the terms and return it to you via fax, e-mail and the original via regular mail with a check. 

Agreed as above

Date, year

I know you submitted your inquiry some time ago.  I have been away from THP for a long time and finally had a few minutes to actually go to the forum and hang out with everyone.  I hope this info helps.  You can always e-mail me if you want a sample letter contract whichis what I have always used or for more legal or admin info or suggestions.   After more than 30 years of "doing the henna" this is one of the most difficult parts of the business, so don't get your henna cone in a bunch if you find this more trouble than sifting really bad henna. I have even more experience as an admin/legal assistant and to this day find that a good contract is as important as the right henna paste. 

Jen

Bridals do tend to have more stress, more challenging work, and unexpected surprises but I certainly wouldn't say "always an unhappy time!" In fact, if that were the case, I'd find a new line of work! Some of my most gratifying experiences as a henna artist have been bridals! By being prepared and having a good contract you can avoid some of the pit-falls (bossy aunties excluded -no cure for that!) and can make bridals go as well as possible. It may even be a GOOD time!

It is really important though, to know your limits, and don't take a bridal until you're REALLY confindet you can do the work, because a person should NEVER mess with a woman's wedding!

sailor

thanx for the advices hennasisters :)

i do my work for about 2 years. hennead my self a lot and family and friends for fun.

so there is not really a problem about my hennaskills.

i just love my work and when somebody contacts me for a bridal im just so happy that i dont think about a contract or the payment but when people take abuse of your trust i found out that its better to have everything on paper.

Like lats week i had a client and she called me a day before here hennaday saying that she found someone else cheaper than me, i told here oke thats not my problem then go to here. she was like no i have a budget and was thinking maybe you can give me some discount i told here i cant because i already gave here €5 discount and because my father brings me and will wait for a hour outside for me and so. she told me she wil think about it. later she called and told me our deal is still on and that she is a women of her word because we already had a appoinment. 1 hour later here SISTER called me telling that the appointment tomorrow wil not go one and taht i have a nice day.

i was soooooooo pissed of. it told my parents what if i had another client and turned here of beacause i had plannend this bride. so now i know i must ask a part of the payment before i go so that i can put the date for sure.

but know a bride contacted me ad asked if i worked with contracts and if i didnt if i could sign here contract so that there will be no problems on here hennaday. i was so happy with this. somebody h\who takes this serieus

such a newbaby to working with contracts :(