What's Your Fsavorite Essential Oil?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
keltoi28
What's Your Fsavorite Essential Oil?

For all the experienced henna artists out there, what is your favorite essential oil (or blend of oils) and why? I've got some cajeput/geranium blend from the 'shopping' page on the way, but I bought it mostly from the description of being a nice 'feminine' scent since it's going to be women patiently allowing me to try my new 'art', and the cajeput at least is pretty highly regarded for it's 'terp power' if not it's smell. What say you?

Mani
Re: What's Your Fsavorite Essential Oil?

For clients, I like cajeput or tea tree with lavender.  The lavender cuts the "medicinal" smell of the other oils and the stain is great.  In my personal mix, I use caj/tea tree, lavender and patchouli.  Love the earthiness of the patchouli, but it is not a scent that everyone likes so I leave it out of my "general public" mix. 

Jen

I use cajeput as my work horse, but I like to add other stuff to tone down the scent. Lavender, geranium, clove bud (not much -it can be itchy!) cedar and basil are some of my favorites.

Seryph

I just use straight lavender, I love the smell (takes me right back to being a kid in the garden with my mum and grans) and I'm not allergic to it like I am tea tree. Also I've got really sensitive skin to I'm not massively keen on using anything new. I get amazing results with it in my mix, right down to so dark red its nearly black!

Lor

I use aromatherapy-grade lavender and the stain can get as dark as I have seen any.

The scent is prettier than the cheaper grades, and although I was told a lesser-grade lavender would "terp" better, the stain I get is beautiful.

If I thought patchouli could terp,and I understand it doesnt, I would use that....since I could huff that all day long!

zaudika

I prefer tea tree above all others so far.  :)  I love the scent and it seems to enhance the stain very very well.

Jen

Some lower grade oils might terp better because they use cheap solvents to make the oil. LOTS AND LOTS of horrid chemicals make great terps you see, they're just not so grand for humans. Other times cheap oils are diluted with fixed oils or are actually "fragrance" oils. Niether of those will do any good what so ever.

With lavender, there are other things to consider. IMO "fine French" lavender which is usually one of the most expensive varieties, doesn't go as good of a job as Hungarian or Bulgarian lavender!

ladytetsu

straight caj!  Nobody has ever griped about the smell, like they did for all my other oils and mixes, and it stains like mad.  I buy it literally by the gallon now - makes fora great gunk remover, too!

Jen

Or paint remover! Remember my crash landing on the stairs with a 16 oz bottle of the stuff!? I cut my leg with the class shards. Um, it was a clean wound... but ya, it took the paint right off the stairs in the time it took me to stop the bleeding.