Best acid for keeping red red, bright, and light: chamomile? yogurt?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
erko
Best acid for keeping red red, bright, and light: chamomile? yogurt?

Hi all, I'm wondering what your recommendations are for keeping my henna from going browner and darker over time. Over the past year I've used Punjabi Prime to get the brightest, reddest stain I could on my hair, though it does tend to get browner and darker over time. I've used either chamomile, hibiscus or Red Zinger tea, or orange juice as my acid during that time. I think I switched from tea to orange juice after reading on the old forum that chamomile tends to get browner (though not darker) over time, but on the new forum I've seen mention that this isn't true, and that chamomile is the best for preventing darkening and browning.

I only do my roots but am thinking of doing a few lightening treatments with peroxide alone (my natural color is light brown) and then adding more red back with either gradual glosses or a brief full-head henna. I want to keep this new application as light, bright, and red as possible.

I also saw that someone had had great success with yogurt for these purposes. I remembered on the old forum that there was a time when lots of people were using yogurt. I recall people stopping because of concern that yogurt inhibited dye uptake somewhat. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ACWN
Re: Best acid for keeping red red, bright, and light: ...

Henna naturally darkens and turns brown, this is oxidation. There is nothing you can do or mix the henna with to prevent this. It will always do it. Carrie has found that very strong acidic mixes, namely lemon juice, will continue to gradually oxidize over time, but the effect is so minimal you wouldnt notice it for some time. But lesser acidic mixes, like tea, will not.

If you are looking for a specific shade, you have to keep that in mind and also remember that your starting color and your hair's condition also has a lot to do with the color you get in the end.

Unfortunately around here "red" means a lot of things to different people. When I hear/read the word, I think of it in artistic terms, meaning crayon red. For us to be able to really help, it would be best for all if you could supply a picture of the color you're wanting to achieve, or a better description besides "red". Are you looking for copper, dark copper, or light auburn?

erko

I guess I mean the Irish red "true red" of a naturally born redhead, which I've found Punjabi Prime to be great for. I know I can't get that screaming red color I'd love to get but know can only get with a chemical dye (and that wouldn't last long anyway), but in the past I've gotten very good, very bright results by lightening the length of my hair with peroxide over coconut oil, then hitting it with PP. I'd just like to combat the browning and am wondering if I should switch back to chamomile for my acid to minimize long-term oxidiaztion..I swear I remember switching from tea to OJ when someone said Carrie's tests showed that chamomile got browner over time than the higher-acid liquids even though it didn't darken as much. Now I'm wondering if that isn't true, and am also curious about someone's recent results with yogurt.

Carrie

My tests showed that more acidic mixes, like lemon juice or amla, darkened/browned more than tea mixes.I have not found that chamomile tea increases the browning effect, just the opposite. As far as I have seen, any henna mix will darken (to differing degrees) from oxidation over time, EXCEPT for boiling water which fades to a dull lighter orange.

erko

Great to know, I'll start making my mixes with chamomile! 

Jen

My tests, like Carrie's, showed that less acidic means less browning, and that the color will only settle over a short period of time, where acidic mixes will continue to deepen almost indefinitely even if subtlety. I still have the tests that I did about a year ago. I'll try to dig them up later today to compare them. I'll post the pictures.