White hair comes out butterscotch

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
eli19
White hair comes out butterscotch

I have black hair with some white mixed in (about 25%).  I have to cover my white (they are not gray, they are snow white) with a mixture of  henna,  amla, and ACV (I used strong clove tea for the smell). Left overnight for release then mix indigo with salty warm water in a separate bowl and add to the henna mix.  Yes, I wash my hair first and no conditioner.

The final mix is 1 part henna, 1/4 amla, and 2 parts indigo.  Left on my head 4-5 hours.

However my white comes out a pale butterscotch colour.  Not even medium brown.  To make matter worse the brown fades in days leaving me with orangey white hairs. Ugh!

Any advice?  I could like the white to be medium or dark brown.  I am a homeschool mum and don't have time to be doing 2 parts-not to mention that I spend most of the time on my feet or sitting on the hard floor to avoid staining the furniture.

Thanks for reading my long post.

Jen
Re: White hair comes out butterscotch

Do you have any indigo powder left? If you do, I'd take a little pinch of it and put it on a wet paper towel or napkin. See if you get some blue on the paper. This is just to make sure you're indigo isn't damaged and not doing the job.

Some people have trouble with the indigo fading the first time or two, then it starts to stay permanent. I dunno why, but its true.

What kind of henna did you use?

eli19

I mix the indigo in a white plastic container and I always see the pretty metallic (is this the right description for it?) kind of greenish/blue dye release.  As a matter of fact the container is well stained of blue by now.  Last time I used strong coffe in my henna mix.  I forgot to mention the coffee in my post.

I was using Indian henna from Rajasthan (I live in Dubai and I got the henna from the local market). I also got some Yemeni henna which I haven't used yet.

The indigo I bought at the store.  I haven't seen fresh indigo sold anywhere and the packages don't have a date stamp on them, but it is labeled as coming from India as well.  It looks like a powder made from dried peas.

I have t say and I have been trying the henna/indigo mix for the last 6 months and the indigo fades so quickly it simply does not last until the next application (about every 3 weeks) so it doesn't get a chance to "accumulate".

What am I doing wrong?

Jen

It could be your supplies. Could be that your henna doesn't have enough dye. Indigo sticks much better to hair that is well saturated with henna. Getting a butterscotch color indicates that you're not getting enough lawsone (the dye in henna) into your hair. Good henna all by its self should give bright red to auburn. 

eli19

In other words you are telling that I am blaming the indigo when it may actually be the henna's fault?

Wow, I didn't think about testing the henna...  I think I will wait for the roots to grow a bit and then try the Yemeni henna with the indigo and see what happens -or bite the bullet and do a 2 step process.

If a go for a 2 step process do I still have to leave the henna on my head for 4 hours and do the indigo for another 2, or can each step be shorter?

Thank you for the advice. 

Jen

Yep, could be the henna! I lost my concern over the indigo when you described the appearance of its dye release. 

If you decided to do a two step process make sure you do a strand test first!!!! You could go black!

I would keep the henna portion long... say 2 or three hours, but the indigo should do its job in just one. 

Carrie

A 2-step with 1 hour of indigo will probably make your hair black. You can avoid by leaving indigo on your hair for a shorter time, or mixing in 10% henna in the indigo, or diluting the indigo with conditioner or cassia.

Vizion4B

eil19, are you allowing the tea to cool to room temperature before you add it to the henna mix?  If not, that is probably why the stain is weak, since you are diluting it with very hot tea.  If you add very hot boiling water to your henna mix, it will more than likely weaken the henna leaving a short-term or dull stain.

I get an intense color when I henna because I mix, allow dye release for 12 hours and then put the mix in the freezer.  When I am ready to use it, I thaw it out in the fridge, place it on the counter about 1/2 hour before I'm ready to use it and I get a very vibrant auburn stain.  If it is not somewhat warm (ice cold), I place the bowl of the mix inside a pot of warm water about 10 minutes testing it because I don't want apply cold henna to my head.