Which henna to choose?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mer
Which henna to choose?

I posted this on the old forum but just realized there was a new one...

I want to try henna for the first time, but after reading this site I'm a bit confused about which henna to get (celebration, yemen, purity, etc). I have light brown hair with a bit of a red tint left from chemical dye (I'll definitely be testing first) and I want a vibrant red like this: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/anya/ Something that's not too dark or too orange. Do I want to get the highest dye concentration for the most vibrant color, or will that make it too dark? I know the rest of the mix is important too, but I at least need a starting point. Thanks!

Jen
Re: Which henna to choose?

More dye will be darker. Imagine wearing a pair of red-orange lensed glasses. Everything will look red-orange. If you wear 6 pairs of the same glasses everything will look pretty dark. For a more vibrant red in light brown hair, I would try punjabi prime, to be honest.

Carrie

I agree, with a modestly acidic liquid (lemon juice mixes tend to darken more over time) like chamomile tea. And then keep it up with roots-only touchups so you don't end up darker than you want.

Mer

Thanks for your replies! I'll try that.

Mer

Just wanted to say I finally got the nerve to try the chamomile mix and it turned out amazing, thanks for your help!