Why does henna make your hair tangly?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ncp246
Why does henna make your hair tangly?

I hennaed my hair in August using Jamilla henna that I found at a kosher market down the street.  I love how shiny and thick my hair is now, but I noticed that when I washed out the paste after two hours, my hair was SO tangly that I couldn't even run my fingers through it.  It doesn't happen any more, but I swear I had to use a whole bottle of conditioner to wash it all out and detangle my hair.  I had the same problem when I was applying it too, it matted up as soon as I tried to work in the henna.  However, it was fine as soon as it dried, and it stopped getting tangled after about a month.  Did anyone else have this problem?  Why does this happen, and is there a way to prevent it?

Also, another thing I forgot to add--My hair is pretty damage prone, could that have something to do with it?  It was already pretty limp and dry from years of swimming, but now it's so much stronger and healthier.  Maybe now that it's in better shape, application/rinsing won't be so difficult.  Thoughts?

Thanks. :)

Jen
Re: Why does henna make your hair tangly?

I mostly only notice when I'm trying to risne and a big handful of conditioner or cholesterol treatment as I rinse fixes it right up. I don't have trouble durring application.

I always asumed that its just so much like mud. Mud + Hair = a matted mess, so I figure henna should work the same.

Carrie

I find the "tangled mess" factor when applying and rinsing henna or cassia mixes is worse if I apply to dry hair. Applying to damp hair helps. The mud sucks moisture out of your hair so start with some extra moisture :)

If you're not using indigo in your mix, you can try adding some yogurt to the paste for extra moisture and easier rinsing (how much is up to you - keep in mind it is diluting the paste). Adding 1 or 2 Tbsp honey after dye release works similarly.

Carrie

... and yes, I agree this tangling is worse on damaged hair, better on more virgin hair, or hair that's previously hennaed and thus "slicker."

Jen

And for those who are using indigo... you can add some CMC without interfering with stain. http://www.mehandi.com/shop/cmc/index.html

mamaherrera
I have a question, jumping onto this thread.  If you use yogurt in your paste to make for easier rinsing, should it be plain yogurt??  and how much can you add before it starts making color harder to achieve??  When do you add yogurt, with the warm water/tea and does anyone know if it works with yogurt if I freeze my henna???  And the same, with honey, can it work when freezing henna?