Image ownership?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
CCartwrightJones
admin
Image ownership?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48046197@N02/

The images all have the stamp of the owner, but I have my doubts.  You folks recognize anything?  They're asking for an ad on HP, and I don't take ads from people who aren't displaying their own work.

ladytetsu
Re: Image ownership?

the one Riffat (109) is a straight gank, I know that background.  I see Kiran, too.

CCartwrightJones
admin

I thought that was the case.  I can usually recognize faux henna slinging like signatures on a forged check.  HP copyright nazi says, "NO AD FOR YOU".

BreellaBlue

I like the HP nazi!

Samvit

I saw the Riffat right away too, and Kiran as well.  In fact, almost half of them I'm sure I've seen before, and I would be really surprised if the other half were hers either.

ladytetsu

yeah, I sincerely doubt any of it is hers, but that one I knew 100% certain the origin of, so that was what I went with.  HP AD Nazi - fair, but firmly no BS!!!!

CCartwrightJones
admin

If  a person isn't showing their own work ... they are cheating their clients, and they have no respect for their colleagues.

FAIL.

Ad refused.

Expecting a butthurt reply in 3 ......... 2 ......... 1.........

ladytetsu

ohhh, DO post any butthurt.  PLEASE.  I have a seriously wicked case of schadenfreude and I love to watch bawwwing.

vampkat

Seriously...that's either HUGE cohones....or REAL stupidity.

OodleArdle

I'd recognise Darcy's cushion and leather stool anywhere.  In fact, in just about every collection of stolen images.  Hers must be the most shared furniture on the internet!

Aurora Mehndi

oh yeah, lots of stolen stuff on there, i commented on a few of them

Samvit

the stolen pics are all gone now, replaced with some of her own

Jen

Maybe not out and out theft, but I think its kinda dirty that her name is USAHennaDesigner on top of it all. Isn't Neeta HennaDesigner on flickr? Doesn't that just scream "I'm hoping people will mistake me for Neeta!?!?!"

Aurora Mehndi

there are lots and lots of "henna designers" and "mehndi designers" out there, Neeta is just one of them. There's no real footing one that one....

Jen

Well I wasn't planning to sue, lol, but I'm not a fan of intestinally deceitful business practices. That may or may not be one. I have my doubts it's a coincidence. 

It makes me think of people who open twitter accounts with celebrity names and tweet ads all day. Sure it's not against the law, but I don't have to like it.

LemonSugarHenna

how about this one...I know it's one of you ladies' because it's in my pile of Hennapage practice designs.

It looks like someone else did the work but "forgot" to credit the pattern artist.

http://www.endeavorentertainment.com/Henna%20Tattoos/Henna%20tattoo%20im...

I was searching for sample images of booth design posters because I have to transition to poster displays at an upcoming festival-plus I am hoping it will curb the number of questions while I am working as I cant afford a booth babe yet. Any shares in that department would be great.

Jen

Its based on a design of Kim's

My first year out I had a high school girl who worked for tips and some on the job henna training. Worked out great for both of us. If you're lucky enough to find someone like that. Since then I've had my son help me with gigs where I could use an extra set of hands, but an extra artist isn't really warranted.

If I were you, I'd start a whole new thread on this topic so you get more ideas!

jessinthedesert

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and pretty new to doing henna. Call me naive, but is the common opinion out there that it's taboo to use other designs as ideas and/or blatantly copy them at all, or just to credit them as your own? (which I agree is obviously wrong...)

I don't advertise 'original designs', but I don't credit anyone for every design either. I put the work I do on facebook sometimes and in my design book for people to get ideas from....mostly I browse the web for new ideas and 'looks' and in North Africa where i work I take pictures of friends who get cool henna and draw out the design for ideas to use...is this unacceptable in the henna world? or like i said, only if I try to say they are mine?

thoughts? sorry! I'm learning!

lkumle

Let's talk about copyright and what can be called "original" or "mine" some more, please...

Jen

Well, there's a couple levels of "mine." First of all, for advertising your own abilities, its ok to show pictures of designs executed by you, but designed by someone else in many cases. Chances are good that you're not a xerox machine and you have added some of your own flair to the design, making it yours in a way. (Also, TDL design books specifically give permission to use the designs for handcrafting as long as your not mass producing stuff done with the designs. Read the copyright info. It helps a lot!.) It would not be OK to claim you created the original design, and it would be polite to site the artist and offer them a link in web advertising. That said, depending on the copyright of your sources this can get more complicated. For more information, read this: http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/copyright/.

OK, here's the simple part. If you created the design, executed the art, and took the photo, its yours. Period. If the art was designed by someone else, executed by you, and photographed by you... see above. If the art was designed by you, executed by you, and photographed by someone else, you need to talk it over with the photographer. If the design was executed by someone else, just don't put your name on it! If you had nothing to do with it and you just want to borrow it to advertise your services, you're really going to make people angry.

The simplest thing to do is use your own art and images.

Nicole

Thanks for the clarification!  What exactly does TDL stand for (as in TDL design books)?  Also, if we are putting together a design book for clients/festivals, can we include the "free patterns" you find on some sites, or photos of other artists if you credit them?  How about if someone comes to you with a photo they found online, and they want that design done?  So many questions, just don't want to get sued or even worse, offend someone :)

lkumle

Thanks so much!  I think this is an important thing for any sort of artist to keep in mind.

ladytetsu

The good artists all go through this "oh my God, am I doing this right?!?" phase, so score one for you!  I did it too, but I'm the exception, lol.  If a client brings you a pattern, do it.  If you post a photo of your version of that pattern and you know whose it was, cite them in your caption, "my work, borrowed from/copied from/inspired by y" or "pattern by x" is reasonable.  If you don't know the artist, say "my work, client request/unknown original artist/does anybody know whose this pattern is?" or something like.

Most design books will let you reproduce them as long as you leave the copyright intact, for use in creating body art, again, check the copyright statement.  Those will often explain just what you can and can't do with each book, and they're not there for decoration. ;)

Honest mistakes happen.  Honestly worrying about it is good.  Honest oopsies will earn you a "hey, my pattern!" but not usually the really angry stuff.  What drives a lot of us absolutely batty is when somebody just copies a photo of ours, removes the watermark if it's there, and then tries to claim it as their own work and ability.  Then the thief gets all offended and tries to tell us "my webmaster did it, I didn't know!" or the hallowed "it's on the internet, I thought it was free!"  Watermark and copyright your photos obnoxiously, it cuts down on theft and establishes whose it really is, and there's a handy tutorial right on this site to help you with that!  Those shots take work and are hard to come by, especially the really nice ones everybody likes to steal!

TDL is TapDancing Lizard, Catherine's company. 

Nicole

Thanks so much!  I guess if you're not sure, you can always ask the artist themselves.  I would never try to claim someone else's work as my own, and if I accidentally copied someone, I would give them credit as soon as I found out.

OH yeah, TDL, makes sense :P

Thanks again for the clarification!

Nicole

Okay, something else!  Sometimes I see a pattern I like, but I don't like this flower, or that paisley, so if I take the design, print it out, white out the part I don't like, and replace it with something else, what would be the protocal for that?  Keep the original designers stamp on it, and just write modified by?  Or is this just a huge nono?

Jen

You don't mean to doctor the printed image and upload it again, right? You mean to do the design on someone else with your own adjustments? That's just fine, and it would be polite to make a note that the design was "inspired by..."

Nicole

Actually, that is what I meant :S  So I guess that means don't do it?

lkumle

I'm w/Jen.  See her post on #19, too.  It seems you can't fail if you do the work and take the pictures.  Then, those are YOURS.  And a token, "Inspired by...[Miss Susie Q's Henna Designs for a Good Time]" are appreciated.  I have a feeling I'll be including a lot of those.

ladytetsu

I'd steer away from that, Nicole - chances are you wouldn't do it with a book or a magazine and try to claim it as your own.  What you COULD do is actually execute the pattern in your own way, as you like it, take a photo and use the "pattern inspired by" or "modified pattern by" stuff.  I'd be annoyed if someone took a picture of mine, pattern or body part, and just edited it here and there and then tried to claim it.

Nicole

Makes sense, seems like a grey area.  And for the record, I wouldn't try to say it was mine or anything.  I think all of my questions are answered now, I feel a lot less nervous :)

ladytetsu

:) you'll be fine.  You're thinking in the right direction, so you're doing okay.  Just consider your own feelings - if it doesn't feel right, ask before you do it. :)  Questions before the fact are always happily answered!