Can henna be used over bleached blonde hair?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lauren
Can henna be used over bleached blonde hair?

Right now my hair is bleached blonde with a faded semi permanent pink/red and 3 inches of ashy dark blonde roots. I can bleach it all out to an almost even yellow blonde. I would like to henna it a dark auburn if possible and quit using chemicals on it. Will henna stick to bleached hair?

Jen
Re: Can henna be used over bleached blonde hair?

Yes, you can use henna over bleach blond, but depending how much your hair has been damaged by the bleach, it may not take up enough color to get to auburn, at least with the first application.

Carrie
Re: Can henna be used over bleached blonde hair?

Usually it will, unless the hair is so damaged that little keratin remains for henna's lawsone to bond with. It would be better not to expose the bleached hair to any further bleaching at this point - there is no need to get a lighter color on the length since you want to dye it a dark auburn.  In fact I don't think you need to (or should) bleach the dark blonde roots either, considering the color you're shooting for.  I'd suggest a strand test to find out how it's going to look.

Bleached hair typically comes out a lighter, brighter shade of orange with henna, compared to naturally blonde hair. You may need some (10-25%) indigo to get a deeper color on that bleached hair (your strand test will help you determine if this is necessary), and using a high dye content henna like Celebration would be your best bet since you want a dark auburn.