Henna and Buxtus mix

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Haute Couture
Henna and Buxtus mix

Hello,

today I tried Henna and Buxtus for the first time myself. I wanted to get a reddish brown, but some of my roots are a mixture of white and grey. So I mixted 2/3 Henna and 1/3 Buxus. I know that the colour is definite only 4 days later, but for the moment there is no brown in it. Only some middle or dark red.

Will the dark touch of the buxtus get out later or should I take more of it or let the whole mix rest for a longer time. I let it for 4 hours in it.

I am new in here. So if there is anything I did wrong, tell me about it, ok?

Thanks a lot,

Haute Couture

Carrie
Re: Henna and Buxtus mix

Buxus isn't as strong as henna, so if you want a browner color you will need to use at least as much buxus as henna, but don't measure by volume (cups or spoonsful), measure by weight (grams). Buxus also weighs much less than henna, so an equal amount of buxus by weight is a much larger amount by volume.

For a brown that isn't a reddish brown but closer to neutral or ash brown, use 2 parts buxus to 1 part henna.  3:1 gave one person a nice ashy darker brown. You'll want to do some strand or hairball tests to see which ratio gives the color results you want.

Another thing to note about buxus is that it works best (gives stronger dye) if you simply mix it with warm water when you are ready to use it. Don't use anything acidic, and don't let it sit like you do with henna.

Haute Couture

Hi Carrie,

according to your answer, for a reddish brown (brown with red accents) I should use the same weight of henna as of buxus, right? Prepare the henna with lemon juice, let it stay overnight. Then mix the same weight of buxus with very warm tap water (as hot as possible)  and mix this pamp with the prepared henna and put it on the head for about 4 hours.

Fascinating that henna has much more weight than buxus.

Greetings,

Haute Couture

Carrie

Right, except I don't know if you would want to leave it on for 4 hours - perhaps less time than that? Strand test to be sure. The longer, the redder.

Haute Couture

Hi Carrie,

I just thought, it would be healthier and more "colour binding" for the hair, if I let it as long as possible on the hair. Buxus seems to me to darken quite intensively. Not from my personal experience but from the comments I read.

Best regards,

Haute Couture

jensinterpol
Hi, I was reading your reply and it made me think of a question.. Should I mix the Buxus with water and apply after the henna in a two step process, if in fact I already mixed something acidic into the henna (lemon juice)? I'm thinking that maybe why my roots were orange..
Haute Couture

Hello Jeninterpol,

I don't know if this question was for me or for Carrie. The big difference between a one- and a two-step process is the colour that comes out. As far as I have unterstood it, in a one-step process, you should get a brown  with a reddish touch. In a two-step process, you will get a black colour.

I do the one-step process because I want a brown colour with a reddish touch. But I was already wondering why the buxus (which does not seem to support an acidic environnement) does not get negatively influenced by the henna, prepared with lemon.

If you want a black colour, the best solution seems to be a two-step process, indeed. But since I just began now to get informations, it would be quite a good idea to ask Carrie for confirmation.

Best regards,

Haute Couture

Carrie

A 2-step process with henna followed by indigo can give you black, but henna followed by buxus will give you brown, not black. Buxus is weaker than indigo or henna. It won't darken your color as much as indigo will.

It is fine to do a 1-step process with henna/acidic liquid, addig your freshly-mixed buxus/water paste at the last minute before application. What will inhibit the buxus (lessening its dyeing power) is if you mix the buxus directly with acidic liquid. Mixing it with dye-released henna paste is fine, though.

Some people have tried doing their 1-step henna/buxus mixes without any acidic ingredient, with good success. You would mix henna and water, let it sit long enough to release dye (this will vary based on what kind of henna and how warm the room is, maybe 1-8 hours), then mix buxus and warm water, and add buxus paste to henna paste.

Haute Couture

Hi Carry,

according to the free book, I should prepare the henna, let it stay by room temperature and add a little bit of lemon juice at the last minute and then mix it with the buxus paste. Did I understand it right or shouldn't I add this little bit of juice at the last minute any more?

Do you know Sidr? What is your opinion about it?

Best regards,

Haute Couture

Jen

That last little bit of lemon is just a matte of texture. If your paste is still kind of stiff, you add it to get it to a good working consistency. I actually use water at the end rather than juice.

Carrie

Yup, at the end if your paste is too thick and stiff, you add a little more liquid to thin it to stirred-up yogurt consistency. I add water if needed, not lemon juice.

Sedr is zizyphus spina christi, good for fluffy hair and some people get shine from it. I would use that by itself, rather than mixing it with dyes:

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/zizyphus/