AMLA Henna Gloss to reduce/eliminate reddish tones?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
CoilednScrewed
AMLA Henna Gloss to reduce/eliminate reddish tones?

Will the ALMA work in a Henna Gloss (henna + conditioner)? Will it help to reduce the redness? and is it minimal enough that an Indigo application is not necessary to get hair back to black?

Carrie
Re: ALMA Henna Gloss to reduce/eliminate reddish tones?

No, amla isn't going to reduce redness in a henna gloss I'm afraid. It cuts the red tones in a henna/indigo mix by enhancing the uptake of indigo. When you use amla with henna alone, it doesn't change henna's color very much at all .. subtle browning of the redness but still definitely red/orange.

For black results you need a 2-step process henna (or henna/amla) followed by indigo.

CoilednScrewed

Thanks for the quick reply. So the only purpose of AMLA and henna/indigo is that it helps retain curls and helps indigot bind.

And on that note...how often should one do henna treatments (with a possible indigo to retain darkness). For time and money reasons,

I can only plan on doing it 2-4 times a year. Is that too infrequent? Or is it a process that once you start you have to do it every month?

ACWN

Amla has more purposes than just retaining curls, cooling the hennigo color and helping the indigo bind. Granted, those are the main ones that are often spoken of, but if you click this link here: [link] you'll find a list of uses for amla.

2 - 4 times a year is fine for a full head application, once henna and indigo is in (and you get the indigo to stick, which can sometimes take a few tries), its typically not going any where. However there are some things that could cause the dye to be stripped out and grow dull - certain shampoos or styling products, but these vary from person to person.

But, 2 - 4 times a year is very infrequent for roots. Most of us here apply at least once a month (if they're covering grey) or once every month or two, depending on how fast their hair grows and the color of their roots. Or if they're just lazy, like me, lol. I always wait till I have at least an inch or so of roots before I reapply. If roots dont bother you, you should be okay.

CoilednScrewed

Thanks. Good to know. I'm not worried about roots. I have really black hair already and I don't have any greys.