A matter of seeds (please help)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lehana
A matter of seeds (please help)
I am not sure which is the correct forum for this topic but I'll post it here and see what happens since I intend the product to use on skin. I got some seeds one pack henna one indigo. I am told indigo is hard to grow but henna suits my climate and soil. The henna is listed as lawsonia alba but the description on the pack describes the henna plant correctly and some goggling says it is just a misleading name for the same plant. But I thought I would check with you guys The indigo is listed as indigo tinctoria A legume that has purplish flowers in the summer and is used to make the dye. Does this sound like the right stuff?
CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: A matter of seeds (please help)

The henna is probably OK, and alba may just indicate that you've got the subspecies with white flowers.  The indigo should be OK too. 

I hope you're in a warm place and are very patient.  Frost will kill both henna and indigo.  Henna is a small tree, and it will take you several years for the henna to get big enough for you to harvest enough leaves to make paste.  The indigo will be ready faster, but you'll have to ferment it to get color.

Indigo likes lots of rain, henna doesn't.  Do you have a place where it is both frequently rainy and semi-arid? 

Lehana
Re: A matter of seeds (please help)

luckily i am in somewhere that has the right soil and hot. I will just have to hand water the indigo religiously and make sure i water the leaves to. not at the base because that won't be like rain. Aparently in australia i want to plant it where it will see northan sun and sandy soil. Also put it in the fridge before planting. The henna I hear is really good in this climate and should grown like wild fire :D 

The indigo will be the challenge but I'll keep th site updated of my progress. Would either plant grow in a very large pot?

((ps thanx for the help!))