Rant/Surcharge?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maggie
Rant/Surcharge?

So I had two clients lined up to meet me at the same location one after the other. The first one for a celtic cross the second for a "tattoo test run". The first one went fine (still have to work on my knotwork more) so as she leaves the young girls beside us move over and inform me they are the next appointment. And what comes out of her mouth? "It'll be black right?" So I go into the whole speach about Health Canada etc and at the end what happens? She decides since it won't be black she's not interested, apologized for wasting my time and left.

!!!!!!!!

So I was wondering how many of you here on the forum charge a surcharge for this type of situation? I was there anyways, though I could have met the first client some place closer to me instead of downtown and I could have booked another client for that timeslot. So what do you do?

Jen
Re: Rant/Surcharge?

Bummer! I've never had that happen, so I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions on a policy for how to handle it, but I can give you some tips on how to avoid it. I have a $50 deposit for hourly jobs, but no cancelation fee for individual appointments. I take them in my house so no-shows aren't much of an issue for me.

Some one who is trying out a tattoo is always a red flag for me. I always go out of my way to explain the process and result and make sure they're in. 

If a "tattoo" person is not sure about the whole henna thing once they understand it, I suggest temptu. No, it doesn't last as long, but it looks the way they expect it to.

For any appointment, I ask if they've had henna before. I also ask if there is a particular event they want to show off the work. This gives me the opportunity to probe into what they expect, and help them schedule in a way that makes the most sense.

Nicole

That's rude.

I would say, charge people half or something upfront.  Or 10$ "travel fee" or anything, just so that they won't take off, because they've already put something into it.

Did I mention, that's rude?

Malynda

Like Jen, I give them a quick run-down of the process and what to expect regarding color and its life cycle.  I also let them know what their responsibilities are if they want the best results and a price is either settled on or an approximation given, including any travel charges (based on mileage or commute time).  This is all done before an appointment is made.  This kind of discourse  (along with a deposit, if applicable) weeds out the flakes and leaves less chance for misunderstanding and wasted time. 

I get a lot of business from people who want to "test drive" a tattoo idea, and about half of them prefer it done in black Temptu, which is a great product and very useful to have in your repetoire. 

Maggie

At the present time in the city I am in, Temptu even if explained would be too confusing when I am currently fighting an uphill battle about "black henna". We all understand the difference but right now most in my city wouldnt't.

Believe me there is ALOT of disclosure about the colour they can expect, the aftercare and I am adiment on the "black henna" issue. And since most people either find me through my page or my ad on Kijiji then one would expect they'd notice the underlined, bolded and marked with asterics part of my ad (and site) about "black henna". I am generally very precise about the entire process and expectations. I am just starting to think that some people choose to ignore things they don't want to read.

The biggest disappointment is that even after all the information was given about the dangers she chose to not get the henna done and I have no doubt in my mind she left to go out and find someone who will use black.

I don't and I will not start to charge a transportation cost unless it is outside of my city, it's my own personal preferance but I do think a surcharge is in order for people who don't show up, or choose to walk away.

Malynda

A lot of prospective clients who contact me don't read my website or even look at my gallery of work.  Most think "henna is henna", be it red, black, good, fair or bad.  This is why I prefer to correspond in emails rather than phone calls - I get to give them the bare bones of what I always assume they didn't know/read and have a fairly good assurance that they will understand since most people think more about what they are saying when they type instead of speak.  

I sypathize with your disappointment - I just had half a bridal party cancel in favor of PPD.  All you can do is not take it personally and to keep positively educating those you come into contact with; every little bit helps.

Honestly, I think it would be hard to collect on a surcharge from a client who stands you up at a coffee shop unless you recieve the payment in advance.  Walk-offs might make good if you specify a surcharge while setting up the appointment, but there would be nothing to keep a no-show from skipping out on the bill if there isn't a signed contract in place. 

Maggie

True a no-show there is nothing much to do about. In this case however I should have said something about a cancelation fee or something because I mean really these girls also hold a responsibility not to just assume things. I am going to start treating my "tattoo test runs" and Halloween client alittle more juvenile, as in going over it very carefully and making sure they know what the deal is before anything gets booked. It seams these two categories cause me the most headaches. Unfortunately for me there is just no way that I can possible have clients to my place so I always have to go out of house, and I consider that more of my problem then there's hence the no transportation fee unless they are out of the city (I don't drive either). 

I just refuse to take full responsibility for something that should have also been addressed by the client.

Nicole

When I suggested a "travel fee", I meant it would be like a deposit, but labelled as a travel fee.  People might be put out by a deposit, but not by a travel fee.  You could apply this to the final price of the appointment, just like a deposit.

Or, you could just mention, "Due to people cancelling without notice, I now charge an xx$ deposit, which will be applied to your final bill."

I don't think it's unreasonable, I mean, think about anything, a concert, a movie, if you buy a ticket, and decide not to go, you don't expect to get a refund.  At the best, you would get to exchange your tickets for something else if you called before the show.

ladytetsu

for cheap appointments, like up to $50, I don't bother with fees or such.  If they no-show or cancel late, I'll just go home, pout, and wish bad karma on them.  Bridals have a nonrefundable booking fee which has had 100% success so far, parties are contracted with cancellation fees spelled out, also 100% success thus far.  It's business, you WILL have lame customers sometimes.  You have to roll with it, and just chuckle evilly when life catches up with them.

Maggie

"...you WILL have lame customers sometimes." Has to be the best! LMAO!!