Help! How to do get my usual texture of curl back after using lemon juice with my henna mix?a

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
naturallatebloomer1
Help! How to do get my usual texture of curl back after using lemon juice with my henna mix?a

Help!  I had been using henna and  indigo to color my relaxed hair for over one year when I decided to go natural.  I continued to use it and even tried some buxus with the henna as my kinky/curly roots grew in for almost 5 months. I was having trouble getting the hair to take evenly - the relaxed portion would get too dark and the natural  salt and pepper roots would be too light.   I recently cut off all the straightened hair and used henna, buxus and indigo for the first time yesterday on my all natural salt and pepper hair.  I mixed it with straight lemon juice ( my natural gray is very resistant), let it sit for 10 hours and left it in my hair overnight.  One big problem.....my hair is now hard as a brillo pad and my beautiful curls have shrunk to a tight, kinky afro!

What can I do to get my gray covered without drying out my african hair and altering my curl pattern?  What do I do now?  How do I soften and loosen the curls?  Someone please help!

Thanks!

naturallatebloomer1
Re: Help! How to do get my usual texture of curl back after ...

I forgot to mention that despite my texture troubles the color came out great! Nice dark reddish brown with they grey coming out a lighter and redder version of the same shade. Color took well on all the grey.  I guess the lemon juice does the trick for the grey and it also seems to tone down the red somewhat. ( I used 50 grams of henna ( developed for 10 hours) and 2TBS buxus and 1TBS indigo shortly before applying to my short hair - then left on for approx 9 - 10 hours.

Just a little more info that might help you understand the situation. :)

Jen

You could try what ever moisturizing treatment you usually use. Some suggestions: a little coconut oil, cholesterol treatment, yogurt, honey, or a bottled conditioner.

I would suggest that next time you henna you might try apple juice instead of orange juice. That has just a little bit of acidity, enough to get good, deep, permanent color out of the henna, but it won't be so drying to your hair. When you use apple juice, I'd suggest a standing time of 4-8 hours instead of 8-12.

I wonder if rinsing the henna out sooner might help too. IME anything over 5 or 6 hours doesn't do anything to improve color. I personally get good gray coverage with about 3 and a half hours.

curlyjen

i have curly hair and every time i've hennaed i go thru the dry phase you describe, for maybe 1 1/2 week. after that regular conditioning brings my texture back.  I have found what Jen said-apple juice helps a lot, conditioner with honey, oils, like coconut, conditioners with shea butter, but also a deep conditioning treatment at the salon fixes the dry in one step and i don't have to suffer a week:) (could prob just deep condition @ home with the above mentioned things, wrapped on head under heat, haven't tried it yet).  good luck:)

m_moore
admin
When you henna next, try mixing some amla in to help keep your texture.  I wouldn't keep it on any less than 4 hours for those grays.