Absolute beginner

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dita70
Absolute beginner

Hi, everyone!

On a shopping spree in New Delhi/India, before coming home to Hungary, a lady in a fair trade shop persuaded me to buy a pack of Lemon Tree Herbal Henna Pack with Hibiscus, that "can be used for hair conditioning as well as for dyeing gray hair to natural brown" as it is stated on the pack. It also contains brahmi, methi (fennugreek), amla and neem. She assured me that it is purely vegetal, no chemical additives, and she has been using it forever with great results (true, her hair was absolutely gorgeous!)

So, I applied it yesterday. I used the juice of half a lemon in the mixture, along with black tea instead of pure water and a dash of black coffee. I also put in some olive oil. I left the mixture sit for a few hours, and left it on for about 5 hours. The result is absolutely adorable: beautiful color, great shine, perfect body and volume, I just love it! BUT: my scalp, especially the back of my head became very itchy! Previously I colored my hair with chemicals (stopped about 3 months ago), and yes, my scalp was itchy a bit after the treatment, but this now is much itchier!  I wonder what might be the problem. I would absolutely hate to go back to the chemicals, I love henna! Can anyone please help?

Thanks a lot!

Dita

Jen
Re: Absolute beginner

One of the reasons that we keep the natural dyes separate. That way you can do a small patch test to see which thing is bothering you!

At this point its really impossible to tell. It could even be the lemon juice! Many people are sensitive to citrus.

Carrie

The itching could be a true sensitivity, or it could be from plant dye residue on your scalp. Shampooing thoroughly may help, although you could lose some of your indigo if you shampoo too thoroughly, too soon.

And I agree, it could be the lemon juice too. You could also try a soothing oil massage on your scalp, like virgin coconut oil, olive oil or rosehip seed oil for example.

Dita70

Thanks a lot, Jen and Carrie! It's been two days now, and the itching is better. I shampooed again today, and the water got rather red, so I guess I left some residue on my scalp, too. Next time I will try apple juice instead of the lemon, or simply tea, as tea is acidy as well. Do you think it will do the job?

Have a lovely day!

Dita

Carrie

Either would be fine (I'd suggest the apple juice) and should be less potentially irritating than lemon juice - if lemon juice was your culprit in the itching.