Why teas, EOs, etc?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
gabbyraja
Why teas, EOs, etc?

I'm getting ready to do this for the first time. I got a great new cut and I've ordered and received my Ancient Sunrise "Red" kits (is this the same Henna shade as in the celebration?), and my lemon juice.

Then I come to the forums and the personal mixes and I see people mixing all KINDS of stuff in. Can you tell me why? What's amla, what's gloss, and should I have gotten either? 

I thought I knew what I was doing and now I'm a little lost again...

I'm going for Aurore's color. http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/aurore/ I have a color now that's similar to her before (though mine is old highlights over slightly darker base). Am I going to come out close with "Red" and lemon juice?

TIA for any help.

Jessica

ACWN
Re: Why teas, EOs, etc?

AS red kit is not the same as AS Celebration. AS Celebration has been lab tested and has a specific dye content. AS Red kit has not been tested so we do not know the dye content. Its a good starter though.

LJ can be very drying to some people or irritate their scalp or they dont want to wait 8 - 12 (or possibly 24) hours for their henna to dye release, so they use something less acidic - like tea. The only thing this changes is how long it takes to dye release (and how fast the dye will demise), and how orange the color will be the first 24 - 48 hours, its still going to be very permanent either way.

A gloss is for those who are too nervous to do a full strength henna or wish to touch up their color. The point of it is to mix a small amount of henna paste into a large amount of a carrier like conditioner to dilute the henna and reduce the amount of dye that actually goes on your hair. You probably dont need it.

Amla is often used to help preserve or restore curl, and when used with indigo to make the indigo bind better. When mixed with henna (as indigo doesnt like acids mixed directly into it) and then combined with indigo to make a hennigo paste, the amla will cool down the red tones of the henna. When used alone with henna it CAN reduce the orange of the henna, but its minimal at best and doesnt last. If you dont have curl, you dont need it.

The only way to know for sure if the kit will give you the color you want is to strand test. Everyone's hair is different, so we cannot promise results. If you're brave and willing to be very flexible with your results, and be happy with what you get, then jump straight in and go for it. If you're not, then strand test.

gabbyraja

Thank you! 

Ooh, please expand on this: they dont want to wait 8 - 12 (or possibly 24) hours for their henna to dye release, so they use something less acidic - like tea. The only thing this changes is how long it takes to dye release (and how fast the dye will demise), and how orange the color will be the first 24 - 48 hours, its still going to be very permanent either way.

I don't want to wait. I'd like to mix it up at 8 tonight and still do it up before I go to bed (11-12 pm), then sleep on it all night. Is this possible? I do have an excalibur dehydrator, which can get up to 95 degrees and more, so I had considered just putting it in there for a couple/few hours?

Also, what do you mean by "how orange it will be in the first 24 hours"? Will it less or more orange, and does it oxidise the same either way, so you have the same result ultimately?

Thanks!

ACWN
Tea - any - brewed strong (3 packets per cup water) at room temp will give you dye release in 1 - 4 hours. Never assume, always test for dye release on your palm. NEVER heat the henna! Never let it get above 80 degrees, otherwise will cook and be useless. Less acidic mixes start more orange, but the end result after oxidation is the same.