Copyright violations

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
CCartwrightJones
admin
Copyright violations

Jus' sayin': if you see someone on a social media group that's got stolen images or info on their page, or  blog or webpage ........ SPEAK UP. (If you saw someone shoplifting, would you report it to the manager, or say, "don't do that, it's not yours?)

If they've stolen my (or someone else's stuff) speak up.  Report it to the person who owns the material and/or speak up to the person who's violating copyright law.

If you see a felony and you don't take action, you are complicit in the felony, and you may be prosecuted with the felon.  OK, this isn't the same ......... but if you don't like seeing your stuff stolen, please don't turn a blind eye when you see other people's work stolen.  SPEAK UP.

Thanks to the very FEW of you who SAY SOMETHING when someone is stealin' stuff. 

Feelin' pretty dismayed about the species lately, and how when I find someone stealin, and call them on it, they have to stay up till four in the morning writing a two thousand word massively ignorant, pouting, foot stamping, butthurt reply about what a terrible person I am for asking them to remove the material they stole from me.

lkumle
Re: Copyright violations

Okay, I need the down-n-dirty on this because I definately don't want to steal (as inadvertantly as it may be) anyone's work, nor do I want my work stolen.  Now, I've seen a lot of henna designs and they influence what I put on someone's skin.  It can range from a mish-mash of this and that to a direct copy if I have the pattern right in front of me (in which case I can give direct credit).  And yes, I've read the article on http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/copyright/  but I still need help on this one.

I read the thread on a henna artist who had requested to be listed on HP's site but was denied b/c the work presented wasn't her own.  http://forums.hennapage.com/node/122  Was it b/c it seemed as though she had stolen the pictures or b/c the designs weren't her originals?  And when can we really call something our own when we do tend to take in a lot of different things?  When is something "mine," although it might be "inspired by" or "a deriviative of"?

And can we walk through some scenarios about how things might look in an ideal world?

I ask all this b/c henna is a new medium to me whereas the other media I work with, there seems to be more open-endedness (at least to me).

Okay, Scenario #1

I attempt to copy the design on page 12 of The Henna Page "How To":  Patterns, Volume 1 by our very own LadyC.  What would the appropriate measures be in order to protect HP's and LadyC's work?  And what rights, if any do I have, even if I did the work of putting henna on my client?

CCartwrightJones
admin

If you take another person's text or photographs and put them on your website without permission, that's a copyright violation.

If you do a freehand copy of another person's pattern, photograph your own work, you can use that photograph.  Its nice to say where you got your inspiration.  As long as the work came from your own hand, you own it.

lkumle

Thank you much!  BTW, my RajMonsoon henna seems to be working this time around.