Amla/cassia nightmare

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
xavcat
Amla/cassia nightmare

Hi all,

This evening, I applied a mix of 100g cassia with 40g amla and water that was left for dye release during the day.  30 mins later, I was fed up with the dripping from underneath the shower cap, so I went to wash it out.  Two washes and conditionings later...all but the top inch or so of my BLONDE hair is black.  Like...gray-green-black.  I got the amla and cassia from Mehandi so in theory they're squared away metallic-salts-wise...

I have no idea what to do about this.  I went for cassia because I was done with lightening my hair and wanted to come to terms with my ashy natural color.  Do I dare try to go to a hairdresser's?  Will it fade if I wash it every day?  Do I have to give up and either henna it or chop it all off?

I gotta say, I'm not thrilled with the idea of messing with henna after something as supposedly innocuous as cassia and amla turned me into a swamp head.  But I'm even less thrilled about the idea of cutting off all my hard-earned hair.  I'm open to any help, advice, or suggestions you have because right now I'm about to cry because my blonde hair is like charred spanish moss color and I have to go to work looking like this tomorrow.

Thanks,

Kate

ACWN
Re: Amla/cassia nightmare

Its the cassia reacting to something in your water. A while back we had a gal report the same thing and it turned out to be something in her water that was causing it. She had seriously hard water, if I recall right.

Your best bet is to get a filter for your shower and just wash it a couple times.

xavcat

ACWN--if whatever crap that's in my water is affecting the color, will the (hopefully) non-toxic water (say from a bottle or something) change the color back?  And will the evil color come back if I go back to regular showers, being unable to filter the water?  Thank you for this shining beacon of hope!

ACWN

Yeah, if you wash your hair with bottled water, it should help the color. It might take a couple washes before it goes totally blond though. However, I really recommend distilled water - not bottled water (such as Arrowhead or whatever) as bottled has minerals and they may react. Distilled has nothing in it, so no reaction. Also, I REALLY recommend getting a filter for your shower, unless you want to wash your hair with a jug of distilled water EVERY time you shower.

From now on you'll also want to mix your plant dyes and powders with distilled. If you use henna in the future, it will probably turn brown.

CCartwrightJones
admin

That's definitely a water problem, probably copper or sulphur (unless there's some other reason your hair has  chemical residue from something you've done before).  The mineral residue reacts with the quinone molecule.  If its copper or suphur, they're  IN your hair, so just rinsing once isn't going to do the whole job. 

I recall someone fixing the same problem successfully with Color Oops ........ but you're going to have to proceed very carefully. This isn't just putting one color over another, this is a chemistry problem.