celebration

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
mauhall
celebration

Hi!

I have a few questions about what to expect from Celebration.

I understand that it has a much higher lawsone content and that "darker" is what to expect.  Does this translate to browner, redder (think burgundy as opposed to orange) or something else?  I'm thinking in comparison to Yemen.

Also, if you were trying to get more depth from a hendigo, it sounds like Celebration would give you better gray coverage.  Would the higher lawsone content in the henna cause a hendigo ( i.e... 1 part henna, 2 part indigo) to be warmer or redder than using Yemen?  Does it overpower the indigo?  Or does it offer better gray coverage, so you can still expect a dark brown, but you would get better coverage or depth?  For example, on gray hair, I find this proportion to tint the white hairs a golden color on the first application and a richer color on the 2nd.  Can I expect that using Celebration might help it to look richer to begin with and help bypass the gold color?   I understand everyone's hair is different, but was wondering if anyone has a general idea of what to expect.

Thanks for your help!

Jen
Re: celebration

Excellent questions!

Knowing that henna is 'red' makes it seem like higher dye content would be redder, but that's not quite the way it works. More dye sort of builds up in layers. Imagine you have a red-brown wood stain and you put one layer on a pine board. It looks pretty red. Put three or four coats on at it will start to look darker and browner. 

Low dye content henna will look coppery. Medium dye content henna will look reddest, high dye content henna will lean more into the brown range but keeping red tones. Auburn colors, are what you'll see with high dye content henna alone.

Higher dye content henna used with indigo should not produce a redder result. It will improve gray coverage, and improved the absorption and permanence of the indigo. You'll be far less likely to see stubborn little orange or gold hairs after you're done.

Lavendark

Ok, so let me try to understand this- Celebration will not give a "redder" result, but a medium henna (like ?) will give a true red (not orange) result? Is there any henna that will give a deep red over grey on the first try? I currently have used the following hennas: Yemen, DoTM, and now Purity. All of these used alone has resulted in Day-Glo orange on my grey roots, even when left on for 4+ hours. Only by adding both indigo and amla have I managed a first time root treatment that was an acceptable medium auburn (which I love, BTW). I would, however, like to "redden" up the length, as it is a little too dark brownish compared to the roots. Just want to add a little fire (but not orange). Should I try to lighten it up a bit with honey first, or would that make the henindigo/amla greenish? And then, which henna should I use? Or, would a gloss with Celebration be better? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to achieve that elusive perfect deep red without resorting to chemicals. Thanks for any advice you can give :-)

Carrie

You say your length is darker brown - is that from chemical dyes? If so, you could use Colorfix to remove that, resulting in less brown tones in your color.

Honey/water lightening would also lighten the length but would take much longer. It's so gentle and gradual, I've never heard of anyone lifting enough color with it to reveal green tones from indigo :)

I haven't seen any henna yet that gives deep red with a single application on white hair; usually it takes 2 applications at least ... if Celebration does that, it'll be way cool and I want to see the photos!  :D

Lavendark

I'm pretty sure the darker length is due to the lesser amount of grey in that area- I have a LOT more grey up top. Plus, the fact that the hair is older and more weathered the farther away from the scalp probably has a lot to do with dye uptake. This is only the second full head henindigo I've ever done. I did do a henna gloss once but it didn't really add as much red as I wanted. So, back to the other question: which henna would give a dark red as opposed to a brown-red? What I think would be really nice would be to lighten the ends, then add some deep fire-red to them. Or, streaks of fire-red would be nice. Can this be achieved naturally? Here is the pic illustrating the difference in color, crown is brighter and length/ends darker:

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/lavendark373/017.jpg

Thanks again fellow henna-heads! :-)