Ancient Sunrise Dye Content

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
toot
Ancient Sunrise Dye Content

Does anyone know the dye content of the Ancient Sunrise henna? the one that is found at this link. http://www.ancientsunrise.com/

Does anyone know if the Ancient Sunrise Red, found at the link above is the equivalent to the AS Celebration just with a different dye content?

Does anyone know where you can buy Jamila Henna in Columbus, Oh...if at all?

Can Jamila be purchased via menhadi? I didn't see it on the site unless I was looking in the wrong place.

Does anyone know if Surya Henna is BAQ?

I henned two weeks ago and ussed the wholesale AS Cinnamon. I got some highlights but i want them to be more visible. I have been doing more research on this forum and I am wondering if maybe I need a higher dye content for my dark brown, african american hair. The box that I have doesn't show what the dye content is. and neither does the AS website. Also, I have seen pics of others who used jamila or Surya and you can clearly see the highlights in their hair. That is what I am hoping for.

I prefer not to have to order online...impatient (smile). I want to henna this Friday and so I need to just go to the store and buy it off the shelf. since I need to let it sit overnight I will need to purchase by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

Thanks to all who can help :-)

Jen
Re: Ancient Sunrise Dye Content

You are very lucky in that you're near one of the few retail stores that carry our products! You should be able to find the Ancient Sunrise line in the Whole Foods store in Dublin.

You can get Jamila through Mehandi.com here: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairhenna.html It's just a little more than half way down.

"Jamila" might not get you exactly what you want though! Purity and Celebration are both processed by the same company that makes Jamila. We buy whole batches, and have them examined at a lab so that we can tell you exactly what's in it and what to expect. Not all boxes labeled "Jamila" can be expected to have the same dye content! I've never had a bad box of Jamila and it always has a very nice texture, but the dye content could be good, great, or supper great. No way of knowing.

Some Ancient Sunrise kits (Those for gray coverage) have a High dye content Yemeni henna. Others have an indian henna that's not quite so high. Those for blond shades and light browns have a lower dye content henna. 

The bottom line, after all that... Yes, If you can get your hands on Ancient Sunrise: Red locally, which you should be able to, you should be able to get the results you're looking for, as long as you're aware that dark brown hair won't change that much with henna. It will sort of glow red in good light, but it won't lift your natural color at all.

toot

Good info! I sure would hate to get a bad box of Henna. I did use the AS Cinnamon and was pleased but would liek to see a richer change.

So do you know what the dye content of the Ancient Sunrise is or how I can find out? I do understand that the color of my hair won't change much but Like I was saying I have seen photos of other women who have had  visible results on their dark brown hair without having to chemically treat it first.

Jen

To my understanding, AS kits that do not specify which henna is inside, have Rajasthani Monsoon henna which did not go to a lab for an exact dye content percentage. However from personal experience, it falls very near to that of Henna for African Hair (batch #021110) which we do know to have a dye content of 2.2 percent -or just a smidge less than Yemen (batch #20210) and Purity (batch #101509).

toot

Thanks. So let me be sure that I am clear...the higher the dye content the stronger the Henna? And when I say stronger I mean that it will dye better...sorry...not sure of what the proper "henna" term might be (smile).

OH and what about Surya? Do you know anything about that brand? Is it BAQ? Dye content,etc?

Carrie

Surya is a premixed dye that comes in "colors" and is therefore not something that we would discuss on this forum. You can find information on such dyes on the Long Hair Community and other such hair forums.

Percentage of dye content tells you how much lawsone is in the henna plant material. A higher percentage of dye means you can get deeper stain (deeper color) on your hair or skin.

toot

Thanks Carrie! That helps. I wasn't aware that Suryha or Light Mountain were premixed. It doesn't appear that there is anyway to tell from reading about them.

Carrie

If it comes in different colors and it's not called a kit (with a description saying it contains separate packages of henna, cassia, indigo, or whatever) then it's premixed.

toot

I don't think I got the answer to my question about dye content. I amd trying to understand the difference between a 3.4% and the lower dye contents.

ACWN

Yeah, you did toot -

Carrie: "Percentage of dye content tells you how much lawsone is in the henna plant material. A higher percentage of dye means you can get deeper stain (deeper color) on your hair or skin."

3.4% (celebration) would give you a near black stain on the skin, while it gives you a nice dark auburn when used on white/gray hair.

toot

Thanks...so which of the hennas will give the look of the woman in the PDF doc on your mixes page under "Dye your hair with henna" . She is on page 6  of that document I believe...its the African American woman.

Tthas is where I am trying to go. The AS Cinnamon gave nice brownish highlights which I liked but it wasn't strong enough for me so I saw the lady and figured I might need to try another mix. Possibly just straight henna???

ladytetsu

IF you have the lighter tones in your hair, repeated treatments with any of the good, BAQ hennas sold here will give you pretty red highlights.  But you need to have the lighter spots in your hair naturally for those reddish highlights to show.  If your hair is all over dark brown, and you need the highlights to be created by lightening first, remember that no plant will do that.:)  Sorry to be pedantic, I just wasn't sure if you had gotten that tidbit.  If you like the color you got, but want more of the same, try that kit again or any of the mehandi.com/HP hennas, (Yemeni would be fabulous) and have fun!  Sometimes the perfect color takes some time to build up to, I know I was happy from my first henna, but the color just keeps getting better, deeper, and richer with every application.  Outright dye content isn't AS important as doing it right, and if it wasn't enough, doing it again! lol.  The nice thing about henna is that if you liked it and want to redo it to get twice the effect, it won't hurt your hair at all!  And once you get that perfect color, maintaining it is soooo easy.

toot

Thanks. I kinda started getting that feeling...that I need to just keep doing it and keep trying stuff until I get the results I am looking for. I did like the look I got with the AS Cinnamon. I only used half the buxus. The highlights were a reddish brown. I will take your advice and just henna again this weekend. I will post my results after I get the desire look.

diamond_lvr

Do all Whole Foods carry Ancient Sunrise? 

Jen

Nope. Just the one near Columbus just now, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your store to carry it!