Can I use Aloe in my henna gloss?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
katzchen
Can I use Aloe in my henna gloss?

I'm currently testing it on a swatch of my hair but I wanted to ask here to see if anyone had first hand experience.

If the aloe turns out to be a bad idea, what else can I use to dilute the henna for a gloss?  I tried conditioner yesterday, but it was so runny that I had sheets of henna running down my face and neck, and I had to rinse after just 15 minutes.

Thanks, 

Kate

Carrie
Re: Can I use Aloe in my henna gloss?

I don't have any experience with using aloe for dye release but I found this post from someone who sounds like she knows something (username curly on the old forum):

Aloe vera does not stay gelled up if that is what you are looking for and it is said that it does not help the dye uptake. I haven't done too many experiments with this because alo makes my hair frizz if used by itself. Are you aware of flax seed gel, some here use that for glossing.

What I've done to help prevent drips is add a spoonful or so of instant vanilla pudding powder. Thickens up a thin mix and smells good too. It doesn't seem to affect the dye uptake.

ACWN

Also, if you're glossing over previously henna-ed hair, you can try hair cholesterol if you have it in your area. Its basically super thick conditioner. Apply to damp hair, otherwise its a pain to get in.

But if your hair isnt previously henna-ed, dont use this method. Something about the cholesterol inhibits dye uptake on virgin hair. Not sure about chemically treated hair though, might work.

katzchen

Thanks!

The swatch came out ok, so I've currently got the henna/aloe mixture on my hair.  It is way less runny than the henna conditioner mix.  Lets hope my hair turns out as well as the swatch did!

I'll have to keep the instant pudding and cholesterol in mind for the next time I gloss, they both seem like great ideas :)