Advice please! Trying to help a neighbor

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lavendark
Advice please! Trying to help a neighbor

Ok, here's the situation. My next door neighbor very recently bleached her hair blonde, and it turned out orangeish on the lenght, lighter blond at the top and greenish by the roots. Pretty much fried the last two inches of her hair as well. She has only bleached the top layer of her hair, with the bottom layer being darkest brown from a previous chemical dye. She is also about 7 months pregnant. I offered to help her fix it- I have just enough henna, amla, and indigo left to help her get back to darkest brown, if I do a 1part henna, 1part amla, and 2 parts indigo ratio. I did give her a harsh warning about never bleaching again once the indigo is done. Should I do this? I mean, will a dark brown mix cover the bleach blonde or will it turn green?? What about the pregnancy issue? I feel compelled to help her, I'm afraid she will jump the gun and re-dye her hair with something that may hurt her baby. She is also high risk.

Carrie
Re: Advice please! Trying to help a neighbor

In general henna and indigo are considered safe for use in pregnancy. Of course there are no color guarantees, especially on hair that's "fried." It might look fine but then again she might have trouble getting the damaged hair to take any dye up. Then she'd still have 3 colors of hair, just somewhat different colors than she has now.  It's not likely to turn green, just different shades of yellow, orange and brown, depending on how poorly her hair holds onto the dye.

You say she is "high risk" and I assume you mean it's a high risk pregnancy. To be on the safer side, she should get her obstetrician's advice about anything new that she's using. She would definitely want to do a patch test for allergy first, if she gets the okay to do it.

Lavendark

Well, I don't think she is going to go through with the henindigo. I did a strand test last night, left on the top of the oven while I was baking to similate a hair dryer for almost 90 minutes.  The result was a bronze color, that took darker on the very damaged ends and at the roots. I thought it was a very nice color myself, very natural and not a touch of orange in it, but she was hoping for something darker- more of a chocolate brown. I did explain that bleached hair takes natural dyes differently than virgin hair. I think she is afraid of the commitment of indigo as well, as I did stress to her that she cannot dye over indigo or she would wind up with green hair. It's just as well she doesn't do this- I feel you have to be ready. Plus, she's naturally blonde, and I think I read somewhere that they have the most henna regret. I just really, really hope she takes my advice and waits until her baby is born before she slathers any more chemicals on her head.

She is really unhappy with what she has now, however. What about Colorfix? Or is that just more chemicals?

Carrie

Colorfix is "more chemicals" and I have no idea about its safety in pregnancy, but it might help remove any previous chemical dye - it won't work on Feria, I believe, but it works on most regular oxidative permanent hairdye.

xyz

A little off-topic, Carrie, but you piqued my interest...how is Feria different?  That's the brand I used to use before I became a born-again hennaer. 

Carrie

What I've read is that it contains metallic salts that react badly with the ingredients in Colorfix. There is a post in the old thread linked below that explains which ingredients are metallic salts:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=860

xyz

Thank you very much.  I'm so glad I no longer use that nasty stuff!