How I removed henna/indigo

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
SamanthaJustine
How I removed henna/indigo

I use mostly Mehandi henna/indigo mix and have used Surya 2xs. I use Mehandi henna/indigo mixed together to create shades of brown.

I've been using henna/indigo for over a decade off and on. Several times I have opted to remove it for a change. It did not always go well. I've had orange hair and once orange with green tips. This is important, I use body art quality (BAQ) Henna/Indigo. I have used a mix most recently made by Surya but it did not have any metallic compound.  If you didn't use pure BAQ  or are unsure if it was a non-metallic mix than the removal is going to be much more difficult and I have on experience in moving that kind of henna/indigo.
 I have tried everything from bleach to different hair removers. Bleach is a no go when indigo is involved. Due to the blue base it is more likely to go green than the usual stages of color lifting.  Of course it all depends on your hair and how long you have been using henna/indigo mix. You can of course test strip to see how it will lift but I suggest avoiding bleach either way given the damage it can do to the hair and if you have been using henna/indigo your hair is probably is beautiful condition. No sense in ruining your healthy hair. 

As for removers Colorfix helped remove the henna but barely touched the indigo even after 3 attempts but it did not harm my hair. When I tried Colorfix I had years of henna/indigo on my ends and that makes for difficult removal. If you don't have don't have years of dying with it than Colorfix might be your best option. I used the finishing lotion. I suggest using the lotion because it helps you know if there is still color there you do not want. Otherwise it will just show up days later.

I have found that L'Oreal Effasol Color Remover to be the best removal for henna/indigo with years of color buildup. It is gentle enough to use several times on healthy hair. I use the water method listed on the package to remove levels 7-9. Now you still follow with a 10 volume developer once you have the color lifted so make sure to read the directions on the package before using. I don't use the removal option with the developer because it can have bad effects with the indigo. I had to do the removal 3xs but it lifted enough for me to color again. My ends were black from years of using henna/indigo. Make sure to follow with a good deep condition if your ends feel dry prior to recoloring. When you recolor use Neutral Protein filler or Ion pre-color treatment to ensure even color application. Now keep in mind that using the water method and this is a removal product you won't have the lift stages like using bleach. It will lift the color and it might lighten the hair a little. Also remember this will not restore your hair to your original color. If you have very light hair level 7 or higher you probably will not be able to get back to your natural color just yet and will have to wait a while before lifting higher. I would not expect your hair go higher than a level 5-6. When recoloring pick a shade 1-2 levels lighter than what you want. I suggest using a demi color instead of a perm or semi color. Follow with Ion after color treatment for sealing in the color. If you are using henna and indigo I would use less indigo or you might go dark again.

I hope this is helpful and everything I have mentioned can be found at Sally's. Please monitor the condition of your hair as you lift out the henna/indigo. If you can tell your hair is getting weak stop the lifting process and do a deep condition then come back to it in a few days.

ctrtlelova
Re: How I removed henna/indigo

What color did you end up with on your ends after the color remover?

SamanthaJustine

Sorry for the late reply. My ends were a medium brown with gold. Keep in mind my natural color is a level 5.

jillosity

I'm in the process of removing my henna and indigo, and I've just done a strand test using Effasol. I used water in my mix, and did 2 back to back applications for 30 minutes, it's lighter but I've got quite a bit of green-ness! Will it be neutralized or covered up using hair dye? I've read that using a strawberry blonde shade might negate the green. Would doing a cassia and henna gloss help at all?

Backstory: For the past 3 years I've hennaed using Lush Cacas and then back in November of last year I started using Light Mountain Black and have applied it about 6 or 7 times. My natural hair color is just too light to make it work. I've used several techniques so far to try to remove it, Vitamin C + shampoo multiple times, baking soda and shampoo, I applied Color Oops 2 times for a total of 6.5 hours, I've tried super light blonde hair dye on test strands and it looks really similar to the Effasol sample. My hair is about BSL and quite healthy, despite the recent abuse.

Thanks for any advice!

ACWN

Typically the green is nearly impossible to cover, even with henna., which is the biggest reason why we strongly recommend AGAINST chemically lightening of any kind. Indigo stays when everything else is stripped and ends up very green... and, as said, is nearly impossible to get rid of.

jillosity

That's definitely the message I've gotten in the last month or so of investigating this subject! :) However...I'm still trying with test strands.

I was hoping SamanthaJustine could share how she dealt with the greens, since it sounds like she's had them more than once. I consider the indigo'd parts of my hair forfeit in the long run, so I'm willing to get a bit of damage if I can lighten it and begin to let my natural color grow in without a harsh band of black right below it which is where I am right now.

Just to answer my own question, right after I posted my first question I went out and bought a box of "light auburn" dye, just to see how the strand will react, and it really turned out quite nice, a reddish medium brown with gold highlights! I think I can continue with cassia and/or henna glosses after that!

booyahdy
I had been using a chemical box color on my hair for years and the chemicals were causing itching, sores, etc. so I tried henna a week ago. I like it OK but it's much too dark. I put on a light brown henna and am not happy with the color being too dark and having a red tint to it. My goal is to find a method that my skin doesn't yell at me and I can safely color my grey roots and have a more light to medium brown with no red tint. My son is getting married on August 3rd and I need some suggestions on how to accomplish my goal by then. Any ideas? Thanks! Can I strip everything out with Oops and start over? Marty
Carrie
You can strip out chemical dye with Oops (don't use the peroxide step, if it has one - typically it's the third bottle). But it probably won't remove the light brown henna you used (which is probably actually a mix of henna and indigo).

There are ways to get light brown using henna and indigo but I don't know of a sure way to avoid any red tint. Henna mixtures will always have a red sparkle in the sun, unless you go all the way to black.
booyahdy
Thank you, Carrie! I guess I can live with a little reddish tint as long as I know I'm not putting horrible chemicals on my head. I would say I'm 70-80% grey at this point. :-( If I use the Oops and get rid of all the box color, can I put a henna back on my hair right away? If so, what would you suggest for mixtures to get a light to medium brown color? Also, is it true that if I found a box color that didn't make my head itch and break out (would do a patch test on my arm first) and I put that on over the henna that my hair would break off? That's what a stylist told my future DIL. From what I have read, the henna eventually goes away after 4-6 weeks, depending on how often you wash it, etc. Is this true? I'm all new to all of this and am exploring all my options. Ya know, if someone could come up with a simple box color that doesn't have the nasty chemicals in it, they'd be very wealthy. :-)
Jen
I would try Mehandi's medium brunette kit and add 25 grams of amla to the henna portion for a cool medium brunette. That kit is 100 g of each henna and amla. That's about as close to a simple, all natural box kit as you'll find!

Following henna with metal salt additives with chemical dyes can be disastrous, but with pure henna its fine, and even with henna and indigo its ok as long as you're not lightening.

Quality henna mixed properly should not fade. Mixing with boiling water, or using henna that is stale or low quality can cause that problem.
jillosity
I just got a notice that there had been a reply to this thread, so this seems like a good time to give an update on my own indigo removal situation.

Firstly,  I ended up using Effasol 2 times, careful applications to the blackest band of hair, it was about 2-3 inches wide, right near my scalp. I just added water, since I'd read so much about how peroxide makes your hair green, and I hoped it might be less damaging, Effasol is a light blue/lavender powder, just like powdered bleach, smelled like bleach too, and if it isn't bleach, then it is something very close to it. With the first application, my hair went from medium auburn (my natural shade) at the roots to a medium GREEN into murky green/brown swampiness. I was distressed, as could be imagined, and decided to use the 2nd packet, again carefully applied. It did nothing except slightly lighten the green band. Well, it did damage my hair quite a bit too.

I still had some hope that I could use a regular hair dye to bring my hair to being something close to uniformity, but alas, it did nothing. I ended up using a very deep brown, which went black as my hair was so porous from the bleach. It blended the colors somewhat, but it washed out within a week.

A year on and the black band has softened some. I started oiling my hair regularly, and co-washing. I also used a temporary color (Jazzing in coffee bean) when the discord became too much to bear. I still have areas in my hair that shine green in certain lights, that will go away when I cut it though ;) My hair is about the same length, 26 inches, and I've pretty much had to wear it up nonstop this past year.

I'm glad that Effasol worked for some, but for me it really didn't work. I am however cured of my desire to color my hair! And for that I'm grateful. I have a more detailed version of my journey on another board, it's pretty easy to find if you're looking to remove henndigo.

My final verdict is that you can't, it is something far beyond mere "permanence"!

booyahdy
I have years of the box color on my hair and have tried henna once which was just a few weeks ago. I'd actually like to remove everything and start over. I dislike the color it is now and it has such a reddish tint to it from the henna. Naturally, I'm probably 75% grey. My son is getting married on August 3rd and I'm nervous to do anything right now in case my hair turns green or something if I try to take all of the color out. Anyone have any suggestions how to safely remove the previous color and henna or at least just the henna without ruining my hair? I don't want to have to wear a wig for the wedding. :-( Will Colorfix work to remove it? I'll then figure out a safe color to use but the first step is to remove what's already there. The roots will be coming in grey again very soon and I'll need to do something to them. Thanks for your help! Marty
Jen
Unless you've used indigo too there's not really anything you could do to go green, so you can put at least that one worry out of your mind.

Henna can be bleached out, but it will leave an extra bit of orange or copper behind. It sticks to hair VERY well and you'll bleach out all the natural color and start damaging hair before you get all traces of henna out. As long as you weren't trying to go blond though, that shouldn't be a big deal.

You can any chemical color after you've lifted the color you have without problems as long as you used pure, natural henna.

Here are a couple articles with more on lifting color. http://forums.hennapage.com/node/5497 http://forums.hennapage.com/node/59
Carrie
Since you have both chemical dye and henna in your hair, my suggestion to you is go immediately to this thread on another forum and follow the directions there (not the ones on the color remover box!) to remove your dyes.  

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85463