Just did a henna test

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
ashults74
Just did a henna test

Not too happy with my test results.  I just tested a small inconspicuous section of my hair (on my actual head).   This section of hair had my roots (dark brown virgin hair) then below that my previous chemically highlighted hair (caramel) along with a few grays. Results: Roots-little to no chance Highlighted section-brighter/coppery  Grays-bright copper Basically the line between my roots and virgin hair looks enhanced along with bright, copper grays. How can I correct this to make a uniform color?   Buxus right?  Don't want to use indigo.   I did a 1:1 henna/buxus mix approx. one month ago, but I did it with harvested hair so I probably did not get an accurate representation since all the chemical color, roots and grays were all blended together.   Thanks on advance!  

ACWN
Re: Just did a henna test

Buxus will not give you dark brown, it can only give a light to medium brown. If you want a dark brown to match your roots, you're either going to have to use indigo or chemically dye your hair one last time to a color to match your roots, and then go from there.

ashults74

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I chemically dye one last time, THEN henna, I should just get a solid color (no hightlights showing) since it was colored one color?

ACWN

Right, however when your virgin roots come in, the color will be darker than it is on the chemically damaged length.

ashults74

More red too right because it will soak up the color better since it's damaged?  I wonder if that will look bad.  Any thoughts?   I am also only planning on 1 full head henna, then just do roots from that point foreward.

ACWN

Some, it depends on the color you use before you henna. Strand test.

ashults74

OK Thanks.  I bought med ash brown.  :)

ACWN

You said your virgin roots are a dark brown, right? I would return that color and get something that *matches* your natural color as closely as possible, otherwise you're going to get a very drastic line of color difference.

ACWN

You said your virgin roots are a dark brown, right? I would return that color and get something that *matches* your natural color as closely as possible, otherwise you're going to get a very drastic line of color difference.

ashults74

OK will do.  :)  Yes - dark brown roots.  So if I get dark brown to match the roots, then henna, will it be possible to just do root touch ups with henna and have it match my hair the chemically colored hair?

ACWN

Your roots will probably come out much darker because they're virgin and undamaged, but it should be close enough that it wont be super obvious. But depending on how dark we're talking, you may not have a visible color change on your roots save for outside - just something to be aware of.

ceciann

this is what i am really interested in. years ago, a haidresser talked me into henna. i was 25 percent gray and resisting any coloring. big mistake. gray hair was vivid orange with the henna. my hair was very dark brown, nearly black. someone said i looked like a punk rocker, i was notnot happy. i went to someone else who put a very strong, very black color on my hair to cover. i was not happy with that either, but at least the dayglo orange was gone. that began my chemical haircoloring. i want badly to stop. i would love to use henna. but i am very afraid.

over the years my haircolor faded from very dark brown to lighter with golden highlights, which i liked and would try to emulate that. i just don't want the orange. some red highlights would be okay. i just want a conservative look, no cherry red, no traffic cone orange. so i am reading to see who to achieve that look. i don't want to grow out my hair to begin. because of am 90 percent gray.

so i am watching replies to this post carefully. please help us! i would work with a professional who knows henna if i could find one. i am in northern virginia.

Carrie

Here is a thread about henna followed by a second step of 15 minutes of buxus, for light golden brown: 

www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php

ceciann

Oh my, Carrie, that woman's hair is absolutely beautiful! Do you need to wait a week between putting on the henna and the buxus? I would like to buy from here because I have no idea where to buy otherwise.

Also, if I leave it on long enough, will the henna and the buxus cover the medium brown revlon color I have on my hair in addition to the gray roots (90-95 percent gray)? In my reading here, I am seeing at least four hours and up to six. I can wait five or so weeks until the chemical color is fading. The box says permanent but it gets very light after six weeks or so.

Can anyone recommend a professional in the D.C. area who is very experienced in henna? Specifically henna for people all or mostly gray?

Carrie

@cece: 

If you wait until your chemical color is very faded out, like the lady in the link did, you should be able to get the color she got or something close to it. The timing is given in that thread, I believe. It's a 2-step process, first henna, then just 15 minutes of buxus. You can do it right away after rinsing out the henna, just towel dry the hair and apply the buxus.

If you did this process on much darker hair than is shown in the photos, the results will be much darker brown.

If you do henna + buxus mixed together, as a single step, you will not get this golden brown, you will instead get a reddish brown, and the longer you leave it on, the redder it will get. Applying henna/buxus for 4-6 hours I would expect you'd end up with a pretty dark color, and that is not what I'm suggesting you do.

You need to strand test before you do this, to find out if you like the color it turns out, and tinker with ratio and timing if needed ... please do not skip that step. It's impossible to predict accurately what the dyes will do on an individual person's hair, especially if there was previous chemical use.

To find a pro, try asking Julie (Mehandi's salon professional in Ohio) who does trainings for salons, she may know of someone. Also keep in mind this is not hard to do on your own, that is what almost everyone is doing.

http://hennaeducator.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hairdressers-Who-Henna/189467041540?ref=ts

ashults74

Thanks.  So to confirm, if I buxus the grays, the darkest it will get is a light golden brown using henna (even if I do a 1 step)? 

Carrie

Light golden brown happens if you do one henna application on white or blonde hair, leaving your hair orange, then a 15 minute buxus. If you start with heavily hennaed hair (darker red/auburn from multiple applications, or henna applied to brown hair) then 15 minutes of buxus will make your hair darker brown, not light golden brown. The light golden brown only happens if you apply buxus to light orangey hair, as pictured in the link.

If you were to do a henna/buxus 1-step you could get anywhere from honey blonde/light auburn to cinnamon (brownish red) to medium ash brown, depending on ratio of henna/buxus and the timing.

For honey blonde/light auburn, you'd use equal parts henna and buxus, mixing both together and adding lemon juice,  let sit 12 hours, and apply for 2-3 hours.

For cinnamon brown, you'd mix equal parts henna and buxus, but treat the buxus like indigo (mix with warm water once henna has already released dye), and apply for 2 hours.

For ash colors you need to use 2 or 3 parts buxus (mixed with warm water when henna has already released dye) to 1 part henna and leave on for about 2 to 3 hours.

ashults74

Thank you Carrie.  From the sound of it, indigo seems like it is what it takes to even all the highlights and grays out but I must admit, I am SCARED of indigo.   

I keep looking back at this thread because this girls hair turned out awfully pretty:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS=6381

I'd love to hear any thoughts/comments you have on using indigo.  Is root touch up a pain with hendigo?

How would a 1:1 henna/indigo compare to the 1:2 she did?

Thanks!

Carrie

A 1:2 henna/indigo (plus amla, which she did) will be darker, cooler brown compared to a warmer redder brown of a 1:1 henna/indigo. Here is a 1:1 mix on dark blond/light brown hair with some gray: 

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/nika/

No, it shouldn't be any more of a pain than doing just henna on your roots. When you apply indigo by itself in a 2-step process, it is a little more difficult because indigo isn't too creamy on its own. But when you mix indigo and henna, you get the creaminess of henna so it's easier.

Suggest strand testing to see what you like on your hair.

Carrie

Don't be scared of indigo, unless you think you will get tired of the color and want to change it ... that will be hard to do quickly. Growing it out/transitioning to lighter color is the best option for that, since bleach and strippers will not work at all.

Indigo can be very beautiful ... have you seen pics of xyz's hair? Just gorgeous shiny healthy hair.

xyz

Cece (and anyone else) in the "Greater DC area"---

You said you are in northern Virginia...right?  There's a professional colorist in Rockville, MD, some 30 minutes from Vienna/Fairfax, who really knows what she's doing and has a salon where everything is organic.  She uses henna and indigo from this site, so you can rest assure that everything is fresh and of the best quality.  Plus, before she embraced the healthier alternatives, she had experience with chemical coloring and processing, so she'd be perfect to help you transition from one to the other. 

The name of the lady is Maureen and sometimes posts to this forum as "mauhall".  She's colored my friend's hair (who is about 50% gray and had been using chemicals for about 10 yrs) 2-3 times already and has made it the most scrumptious brown with reddish undertones you can imagine.  Here's her contact info: 

Get in touch with her, she's really phenomenal.  (I'm not related in any way to her, BTW, just very impressed with her work.)

Hoping this helps,

"xyz"

Carrie--thanks for complimenting my hair.  I remember how trashed it was before I started using "the good stuff" so I'm proud to see it become shinier (and denser, I think) since I've abandoned the nasty chemical dyes

ceciann

I'm in north Arlington, which is not really very far from Rockville at all. And let me just say thank you all so much for your advice. And for giving me the name of this organic henna experienced salon in my area, you are a godsend! I can't wait to start the process and promise to keep photos from beginning, during and after to share.