Roots? Really?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michele
Roots? Really?

I just attempted to do my roots.  I found it nearly impossible and ended up just doing my whole head (I have short hair so there was enough of the henna & indigo mix).  My question is - will it dramatically change the color I already have?  I had planned on leaving it on for three hours to get an auburn color (which is what I currently have).  But now I'm wondering what that will do to the non-gray-root areas.  Thanks.

Michele

ACWN
Re: Roots? Really?

Yes, its going to dramatically change your color. Your roots will come out auburn, your length will come out probably dark auburn to cherry cola color or darker.

If you keep doing full head applications, you could get burgundy or even black because indigo is involved.

Michele

So I guess I'd better rinse it out now as it's been an hour and I don't really want to change my hair color that much.  So, how do you do just the roots? 

Michele

ACWN

Personally, what I do is make a sortve very strong "gloss" so it easily goes through a hair dye application bottle. You could use a squeeze ketchup bottle (just cut the nozzle a little bigger) or a ziplock, just snip a corner.

What I do:

Mix my henna with my tea, let it dye release. Thin it out with a mix of a little more tea and a good deal of conditioner (thus why I call it a "gloss") until it dripples off my spoon like cake batter. This doesnt change my color because I'm just swapping out what I normally use with conditioner plus only a little more, but it lets me control it easier (I'm also using Yemen Light, which is a bit more elastic than most henna and this helps reduce that).

I then soak my hair and towel dry it, and section it off with hair clips. The shortest part of my hair is just reaching my chin, but the longest in back is brushing my shoulders (I need a hair cut, lol). I just do it in sections, pulling down an inch or so of hair at a time.

I also have a mirror on the wall across from my medicine cabinet mirror, which means I can open the cabinet and use the reflections to see all sides of my head. I highly recommend this! If you can set something like this up, it reeeeeeeally helps!

You can also see if you can find a salon that will apply it for you. You'd have to pay them, but no hassle for you and you can sit under the dryer for 1.5 hours to get the same amount of color you would at 3 hours!

Michele

Great - thanks for the info.

Michele

Rinsed and dry.  Still have dark auburn hair, just a little darker now.  And the gray hairs were covered, too, and blend in well with the rest of my hair.  I guess I'm lucky.  So next time I do my roots I'll have to keep from getting the mix on the rest of my hair because it will probably get darker again and I don't want that.  Any tips on how to sucessfully color roots?  Thanks.

ACWN

Henna and indigo are pretty forgiving, a little overlap will blend pretty well. You'll be okay. Its hard to NOT get overlap any way.

Tips are just what I already posted. Towel dried hair, section it off, use two mirrors and an application bottle. Or enlist help. And practice. You get better the more often you do it.

Michele

I did my roots, mixing 50/50 henna & indigo with conditioner and making it a consistency good to go through a ketchup bottle.  I probably added too much conditioner and not enough of the henndigo mix because some roots were still not covered well.  Plus I have some really stubbon gray hairs.

But because I have short hair (about 2 inches) it was nearly impossible not to get the mix on all of my hair.  Therefore, I have darker hair now (just a little).  So, because my hair keeps getting darker everytime I do the roots, I'm thinking that next time I'll just use henna.  What do you think?

Michele

Because Celebration is still out of stock, I might need to order a different henna if it's not in within a week or two.  What do you suggest?  My hair is currently hendigoed with 50/50 Celebration and indigo.

Carrie

Purity is the next highest dye content. The new Rajasthani batch is still pending lab results, but from the stains Catherine got on her hands it looks strong to me.

The Kits for Gray have Celebration henna in them, I've heard.

Michele

Carrie,

Thanks for your reply.  I have some questions:

I'm thinking I'll use just henna (thinned with water and no indigo and no conditioner) and do all my hair next time because with my length (2 inches) I can't do just roots.  What is your opinion?

Do you think Purity would be good for me or should I wait to order Celebration if it's available within a week or so.  Or maybe should I order a kit for gray hair - if so, which do you recommend?

Here's a pic of my hair:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6sHxUUynHawNCciRVT0kOQ?feat=directlink

Thanks,

Michele

ACWN

Celebration is no longer available. Besides the kits, its sold out entirely. It wont be available again.

PS... link to your pic says theres nothing there.

Carrie

Though there won't be any more Celebration because that batch is sold out, there will be another crop with a high dye content, I expect, which is what matters for your color.

As ACWN said, your pic is not viewable.

Michele

Sorry about that - here's the pic again:

https://picasaweb.google.com/mmtraum/Hair?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNb4toiKv9S2bg&feat=directlink

Sounds like I'll need to order the new crop when it comes in.  Will it still be called Celebration and do you have an idea when it will be available?  If it's not coming in within a few weeks, I guess I'll order Purity - do you think that will suffice for the interim?  Also -based on my pic - what do you think using just Purity henna (no conditioner or indigo) will look like?

So that's four questions I have.  Thanks.

Carrie

Using just henna will add red tones to what you already have. Your reddish brown will be a little more reddish but still reddish brown. Your gray roots (can't tell how much gray you have) will be red/auburn instead of brown, after they oxidize. Before oxidation they will be orange.

I don't know if Catherine will give another batch the same name, up to now I believe she has given a new name to the new lab-tested batches. I don't know when it will be in the store. She has the new Raj in the store and it's looking very strong to me, on skin. I do think Purity will be good to use in the interim.

Michele

I have about 20% gray hairs.  Do you need to see a "before" pic?

In the initial coloring (50/50 Celebration and indigo), the gray hairs turned orange and then calmed to a nice red after about a week.  I did my roots two days ago, and ended up getting the hendigo-conditioner mix all over my hair (I found it nearly impossible not to get it on all of my hair even though I aimed just at the roots),  While some of the grays didn't take - the ones that did, didn't turn bright orange, but rather a nice golden color.  My guess is that the mix I made was too weak on henna and indigo. 

It sounds like Purity henna is the way to go in the future.  If I do a full-head Purity henna (no conditioner) every four weeks will I keep getting a lot redder, or just a little?   And how long do I leave it in - 3 hours?

My guess is that if I don't like it I can always do an indigo gloss to get back to more of a dark auburn.  I'm looking forward to being an expert at this so I don't have to keep asking so many questions!

ACWN

If you keep doing full head applications, you will most likely eventually hit burgundy. Given your hair is a medium brown (at least on my screen) you will probably hit cherry cola first and then burgundy shortly there afterwards fairly quickly.

I dont know that an indigo gloss would make it brown at that point, I'd be leaning more towards a black-ish color.

Michele

So are you saying you don't think full-head applications would be safe if I don't want to alter my current color dramatically?  My concern is that If I can't do full-head, then I'm not sure how to get it just on the roots.  I can apply it to the roots no problem, the issue is that the hair lays on top of the roots area and mats all together when I cover it with a plastic shopping bag.  And if I use a beanie, too, then, well I can kiss just doing the roots goodbye for sure.

Another problem is with mixing the henna paste with conditioner and getting it to a consistency that will go through a ketchup bottle.  Doing this really weakens the henna and it seems like there is not enough take to cover the roots.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

ACWN

Any full head application (plain henna, hennigo, what have you) is always going to change your color - either slightly or drastically. Repeated full head applications will eventually lead you to a saturation point - for some people its auburn (like my chemically damaged length), for others its burgundy, and for some its black (when indigo is involved).

As far as the ketchup bottle.. cut the tip a little wider or switch to a ziplock if you have to. Swap between a little conditioner and a little liquid, make sure to mix it all in before you add more. I found the consistency of cake or brownie batter usually works pretty well and I'm not using a whole lot of conditioner to get it there.

Question though... how are you mixing your henna prior to dye release? Are you mixing it into a smooth paste before dye release? If so, try mixing it into a just moistened, lumpy paste, THEN mix it smooth. The henna becomes less diluted this way.

Try this. Do your hair in inch to half inch sections... pick up a section and pin it with a clip. Apply your henna/hennigo on either side of the section, then unclip your hair and apply vaseline (lotion type is easier to mainuplate) to the length of that section of hair.

Repeat until you're done. The vaseline will keep the henna/hennigo from spreading to the rest of your hair. Its a pain to get out of your hair, but it works.

Michele

ACWN,

Thanks for your detailed reply.  I copied it to my message here with quotes and put my questions under your words with an asterisk.

"Any full head application (plain henna, hennigo, what have you) is always going to change your color - either slightly or drastically. Repeated full head applications will eventually lead you to a saturation point - for some people its auburn (like my chemically damaged length), for others its burgundy, and for some its black (when indigo is involved)."

* That makes sense that every application will change the haircolor.  What do you mean by saturation point - is that when the color doesn't change anymore?

"As far as the ketchup bottle.. cut the tip a little wider or switch to a ziplock if you have to."

* Yes, I did do this.

" Swap between a little conditioner and a little liquid, make sure to mix it all in before you add more. I found the consistency of cake or brownie batter usually works pretty well and I'm not using a whole lot of conditioner to get it there."

* I think this is where I went wrong - I only added conditioner, not liquid as you say above.  And I think I added too much conditioner so that it would go through the bottle no problem.  I guess that means in the future I need to use either a ziplock or a paintbrush.

"Question though... how are you mixing your henna prior to dye release? Are you mixing it into a smooth paste before dye release? If so, try mixing it into a just moistened, lumpy paste, THEN mix it smooth. The henna becomes less diluted this way."

* Yes, I have been mixing the henna smooth before the dye release.  So you're saying to let it sit for about 6 hours for the dye release with lumps instead of smooth?  And then mix it smooth before adding the conditioner? 

"Try this. Do your hair in inch to half inch sections... pick up a section and pin it with a clip. Apply your henna/hennigo on either side of the section, then unclip your hair and apply vaseline (lotion type is easier to mainuplate) to the length of that section of hair. Repeat until you're done. The vaseline will keep the henna/hennigo from spreading to the rest of your hair. Its a pain to get out of your hair, but it works."

* I really like this idea and will definitely try it  - by lotion do you mean Vaseline comes in a lotion or are you talking about body lotion?.  I'm guessing I'll need a claifying shampoo or dish soap wash it out, what do you think?

OK, and while I've been typing this, I've also been thinking - I want to try just doing the regular "mud-wrap-full-app" and take the chance of what color I'll get.  I'm a risk-taker (or maybe just lazy).  Let's see, my hair grows about 1/2 inch per month and if I do a full app monthly, before each haircut, at least some of the re-dyed areas will keep getting cut off.  And maybe, just maybe the color will look just slightly instead of drastically different.  Hmm, what to do.  Hey, why not just wing it?  Hmm.  I'll keep you posted, lol.

Thanks!

Michele

ACWN

* That makes sense that every application will change the haircolor. What do you mean by saturation point - is that when the color doesn't change anymore?

Yep. Saturation is when your hair wont take any more dye.

* I think this is where I went wrong - I only added conditioner, not liquid as you say above. And I think I added too much conditioner so that it would go through the bottle no problem. I guess that means in the future I need to use either a ziplock or a paintbrush.

* Yes, I have been mixing the henna smooth before the dye release. So you're saying to let it sit for about 6 hours for the dye release with lumps instead of smooth? And then mix it smooth before adding the conditioner?

Yeah, add just enough liquid to make the consistency of lumpy mashed potatoes then after dye release mix it smooth and to the consistency you want using conditioner and liquid - be sure to add only a small amount at a time and mix it all the way in before you add more. I think you'll find this will go through your bottle better.

* I really like this idea and will definitely try it - by lotion do you mean Vaseline comes in a lotion or are you talking about body lotion?. I'm guessing I'll need a claifying shampoo or dish soap wash it out, what do you think?

Vaseline that comes as a lotion (cheap version may say whipped petrolium jelly). Clarifying shampoo should do you, but you may have to deal with funky hair for 24 hours if you do a hennigo - washing with a harsh shampoo within the first 24 - 48 hours will pull out the indigo. If you dont use indigo, you can use shampoo right off.

Michele

Two more questions:

I know I need about 100 grams to do a full app (50 g henna and 50 g indigo). How much do you think is needed to do just the roots? I'm guessing 30 g (15 g henna & 15 g indigo).  What do you think?

Because I will be using a different henna (Purity instead of Celebration), I need some advice on how long to leave it in to get the same color I have now (which was created with a 50/50 mix of Celebration and indigo).

Thanks.

Carrie

30 gm should be plenty.

Use the same application time as before - if you increase it, the color will go redder. Indigo gets taken up by the hair faster than henna so shorter (2 hours and less) applications are browner, and longer (3 hours and more) applications are redder.

Carrie

Applying with a tint brush to your roots will help keep the paste off the rest of your hair.You can target them more precisely and keep the rest of the hair out of the paste to a greater degree, because the paste isn't as runny and it's more contained.

Agree with ACWN's advice to not smooth out the lumps before dye release. Wasted effort (because after dye release lumps will stir out SOOOO easily) and you may end up with your paste too thin. Having the right consistency of paste will help with keeping the paste on the roots and not the length.

Michele

Thanks, ladies.  I appreciate your replies.

ACWN - Are you saying I can't use a clarifying shampoo for 24 hours after doing a hennigo?  What about a sulfate-free or baby shampoo?

Carrie - Do you agree with using Vaseline to keep the non-root areas from getting the hennigo?

Michele

Michele

I was just reading another thread where someone said she did a deep conditioning with coconut oil.  Made me wonder if I could use that instead of Vaseline to prevent the non-root areas from getting hennigoed.  I'd definitely rather put coconut oil in my hair.

Carrie

Agree with not using a clarifying shampoo or anything harsh for the first 24 hours with indigo, although my husband did use regular shampoo right away without a problem after his 2-step process ... but for some people, waiting is really important and they will lose some indigo if they wash too soon. When people write in saying their indigo came out too dark, one remedy that works is to immediately wash/soak their hair repeatedly with clarifying shampoo or dish soap - it WILL put out some of the indigo if you use something strong like that several times and/or leave it for 30 minutes at a time. A quick gentle shampoo that's diluted *might* be okay for some, but not for everyone. After a hendigo I'd suggest using conditioner to get it out and wait a day to shampoo, just to be safe. I always used shampoo right away myself but I was only using a little bit of indigo in my mix, not 50%.

I think Vaseline will keep the dyes from penetrating, at least to some degree, but it will be a bugger to wash it out, I bet.

Pre-oiling with coconut oil will NOT keep henna from penetrating (at least on "normal", non-dye-resistant hair) ... there are a number of folks on other hair forums who oil their hair prior to henna and it doesn't inhibit uptake for them at all, they say, and judging by their photos I'd agree with them. It may keep indigo from working well, however - indigo is much fussier than henna about oil.

Michele

Carrie,

Thanks for the reply and info.  Bummer to hear that coconut oil won't work.  But I'm wondering if my hair is resistant to indigo and will save some hair from my next cut so I can do a test.  The reason I'm wondering is because the gray hairs never turn anything but orange.  The brown hairs did get a little darker when I did a second henndigo for 1 hour, but not a lot.  Also, here are some pics of me before and after my 50/50 henndigo and maybe you can tell by looking if the indigo is taking.  Please let me know what you think.  Thanks.

Before:

https://picasaweb.google.com/mmtraum/Hair02?authkey=Gv1sRgCJKug_PA37yVtQE#5628840837074510802

After:

https://picasaweb.google.com/mmtraum/Hair02?authkey=Gv1sRgCJKug_PA37yVtQE#5628840999698486082

Michele

As you will see from the pics, my hair was actually darker before the henndigos.  And you only need to click on the first link and arrow up & down to see both pics.

Carrie

I think it could be working ... often if the indigo doesn't work the henna wimps out too and you just get a weird orangey/gold.

Short hair is young, healthy hair (it hasn't weathered and become more porous) so it's naturally going to be a bit more resistant to indigo than older, longer hair. You may need to use a higher percentage of indigo or tinker with your preparation. Here is a thread about getting indigo to stick - she used a baking soda pre-rinse to alkalinize the hair and make it accept indigo better. She was doing a 2-step for black but I wonder if it might also help with a 1-step for brown? 

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55634

and here is our FAQ about troubleshooting gray coverage: 

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/22

Michele

I bought hair clips yesterday and tried sectioning my hair with it both wet and dry. They just fall out of my hair! I guess my hair's both too fine, and too short to use them. So I'm not sure I can follow the advice of using hair clips to section the hair and then adding vaseline to the length to keep the hendigo out. 

I'm so confused and frustrated, I just don't know what to do.  A very big part of me says to heck with it and just do full-head apps.  But I'm afraid of what will happen to the color because doing hendigos keeps darkening my hair.   I just read some advice to someone else who has short hair and does full head apps, probably for the same reason.  She was told to do a 75/25 henna to indigo hendigo so there would be less chance of the indigo turning the hair darker. 

Phew - I'm a basket-case.  Help! :)