henna, amla, cassia, buxus, indigo?? help please

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
sandiemirelez
henna, amla, cassia, buxus, indigo?? help please

I have been hennaing for about six months. I love the results. My hair is healthy and glossy!  BUT, my grey roots are very coppery. Bozo orange would be the best description, and so it is a little shocking when I pull back my hair LOL

I am using Yemen BAQ henna, mixed with lemon juice, dye release for 18 hours, frozen, then thawed. Saturate the roots first for an hour, then my whole head for three more hours, with plastic wrap and a knit cap, and work out in the sun for more heat.

1) What is amla? I read a post that said it would make a richer color of red if used instead of lemon juice.

2) If I experienced with indigo, and came out with two tone hair, (darker roots and redder hair) how do I fix that?

3)What are cassia and buxus?

4)Is henna that has been thawed but refridgerated for two months still good?

Carrie
Re: henna, amla, cassia, buxus, indigo?? help please

1) What is amla? I read a post that said it would make a richer color of red if used instead of lemon juice.

• A little bit, perhaps.  One thing you can do is only let your henna paste sit for 12 hours before you freeze it. Thaw it quickly and use as soon as it's thawed. Leave it on your roots for 4 hours as you've been doing. If you let the henna sit a bit too long (past its peak dye release) then freezing isn't going to increase the available dye. To get that benefit, you need some dye release to occur but not too much. You can try switching to chamomile tea instead of lemon juice, or adding 10% indigo to your mix after you thaw out the henna.

2) If I experienced with indigo, and came out with two tone hair, (darker roots and redder hair) how do I fix that?

• What is more likely to happen is the indigo sticking better to the length and not as much to the roots. Here is a troubleshooting guide for that:  http://forums.hennapage.com/node/22

3)What are cassia and buxus?

• Cassia is a plant that gives a weak, pale gold dye. Buxus is a plant that gives a blue/green dye like indigo but not as strong. Neither one of these would help you get a richer red, but they could help you get a soft light auburn, if you combine cassia, henna and buxus.

4)Is henna that has been thawed but refridgerated for two months still good?

• It is unlikely to be any good past a few days to a week in the fridge.