Beginner- Overexcited!

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
crazychilipepper13
Beginner- Overexcited!

Ok so! I have never done henna on my hair before, but I have done a bunch of research and am ready to take the plunge. I got my henna in the mail today and I was so excited that I opened both packets and poured them into my bowl to get started, but I had forgotten that I waned to wait until tomorrow so that by the time it was ready to put on it would be right before the weekend.

Is it okay to let the powder just sit out for a day or what? Should I put it in a baggie or just commit all the way and do this and not worry about what I look like at work as it settles in?

Help!

ACWN
Re: Beginner- Overexcited!

You have a couple options.You can put it in a ziplock, suck the air out and wait till tomorrow OR you can mix it and put it straight in the fridge. Cold slows dye release and dye demise. It will be fine till you get off work tomorrow (and depending on what you mix it with, may or may not be dye released).

crazychilipepper13

Thanks!!!

xyz

crazychilipepper,

Just to make sure, when you say "both packets" you mean you had 2 packs of henna, right?  You can prepare the henna in advance (as ACWN suggested, put it in the fridge...or in the freezer if it's going to be more than a day) but if the "other" bag was indigo (or buxus) hold off on that one.  Indigo and buxus need to be mixed immediately before application for best results.

Good luck!

ACWN

Oooh, xyz makes a good point! I'd assumed both were just henna.

Also, just to mention... henna will keep for a few days in the fridge, but I would not leave it there longer that 4 days, a week at MAX if you keep your fridge super, super cold (meaning liquids tend to freeze in your fridge kinda cold). Only freeze your henna when its dye released and only ever freeze it in ziplock baggies mushed flat for quick, easy thawing. If you throw it in after its dye released, the dye will actually be stronger... but if you throw it in before, it will actually be *weaker*.

crazychilipepper13

So what would be the longest amount of time that I could leave it sitting out? Like on the counter, not in the fridge, before it ruined?

Jen

I'd max out at 24 hours for most hennas. Some go quicker though! I wouldn't leave Celebration henna out for more than 10 or 12 hours tops.

crazychilipepper13

Let's say I freeze it after I have mixed it. After it thaws, I add the second batch of liquid to get it to yogurt consistency, right? I have Ancient Sunrise by the way.

ACWN

It also depends on the temp its left sitting out and what acid you use. I personally wouldnt let, say, a tea based mix sit out any more than 4 - 5 hours at 65 - 70 degrees F, but an all lemon juice mix I would be okay letting it sit out about 12 - 13 hours at that temp.

The warmer the temp, the faster the dye release (also why we dont recommend over 70 degrees F, anything over that risks missing dye release). Same with acid, the less acidic a mix is, the faster it releases.

If you're doing a less acidic mix like apple juice or tea, your house is warm and you dont plan on using it with in a couple hours of mixing, throw it in the fridge.

ETA: Yeah, once its thawed, then you'd mix it smooth and to yogurt consistency. :) But remember only freeze it AFTER its dye released!

crazychilipepper13

Thanks a bunch you guys!!! You saved my butt!

Carrie

I always find henna paste is runnier after it's been frozen, so you may not need to add more liquid when you thaw it.

Carrie

I always find henna paste is runnier after it's been frozen, so you may not need to add more liquid when you thaw it.