Can indigo over henna dye nails black

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Waningmoth
Can indigo over henna dye nails black

I usually dye my nails, and have since let them grow out, would indigo over henna'd nails produce blacks as in hair? Seeing as nails are keratin? Would indigo leaf powder work (what I have on hand) or would indigo crystals be required? Kindest regards, L

ACWN
Re: Can indigo over henna dye nails black

I dont think anyone's ever tried it. If you're feeling bold, experiment and report back to us! We'd really like to know.

Also, just to mention... indigo doesnt bind so much to the keratin, it actually binds to the henna. This is another reason why henna is needed - indigo doesnt stick well without it.

Waningmoth

The paste is currently on (a toenail, incase it turns out a disaster :-)) Applied henna yesterday using the remnants of my usual paste: 1/4 cup sojat henna from henna boy (latest crop), Fresh squeezed Lemon juice by eye, 1.5 teaspoons Cajeput oil. Left 24 hours for dye release in the Scottish equivalent of summer, 18-24•c ,Applied to nail then left overnight with a sock resulting in a medium to dark bronze/ rust colored stain. Just this minute applied a splodge of thickish indigo leaf paste (powder and water) wrapped the tootsie in tissue and loose plastic under a sock and I'll leave it overnight and see what happens in the morning. Its all quite exciting really :-)

ACWN

How'd it go?

Waningmoth

I think I will try during the week perhaps on a toenail just incase it all goes horribly wrong :-)) I'll post results with what powders mixes I used and hope for the best! I can't see why it wouldn't work in theory but you never know

Waningmoth
Results: Can indigo over henna dye nails black? yes it can!

surprisingly well :-)

its messy but effective, 

results here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66397125@N04/ 

the colour is a matte black with walnut undertones, if youve ever seen a piece of whitby jet you'll know the effect (the pendant is whitby jet for reference) 

the last photo is in bright sunlight on black velvet to show the brown cast and my fingers arnt usually a mottled purple, green,grey (just the mess i mentioned earlier!)

i used the henna mixture i mentioned above plus a thick paste of indigo leaf powder, warm water and a pinch of salt.

the toenail test  came out dark walnut with blackish areas so for my fingers i henna'ed as usual sealed and wrapped wiith micropore tape and covered with white cotton gloves overnight, rinsed and used the thick indigo and steamed periodically over an hour. i then removed the indigo and made up a fresh thin batch (pancake batter consistency) dunked my fingertips in the mixture and folded a towel protected by clingfilm over both my hands like a pouch, let it sit for an hour and then rinsed clear.

the indigo was a little drying but a little oil rubbed in afterwards fixed that, and the nails feel thicker and extremely strong.

a bit of a hassle the first time but it should be very easy to maintain by piping  the pastes onto the new growth with a jac bottle and much less messy

Jen
Re: Results: Can indigo over henna dye nails black? yes it can!

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this!!!

ladytetsu
Re: Results: Can indigo over henna dye nails black? yes it can!

hey - let us know how it wears!  I often get my nails black cherry using henna alone, but it wears away with abuse of my nails as I strip off that outer layer by whacking and friction - perhaps this will be more resistant!!!

ACWN

For next time you do your whole nail, maybe try painting on clear nail polish on the skin around your nail. I found that when I put nail polish on my nails directly after putting henna on them that it kept it from oxidizing until the polish was removed. Maybe doing that will act as a seal against skin staining so you're only getting your nails.

Now I have a reason to get some indigo! Thanks!